Author Topic: Ideas on how to caption for more than website.  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ideas on how to caption for more than website.
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »
Often i shoot one event for more than one website. When i caption my photos alot of the detials / fields in the stationery pad are the same, but a few fields have to change.

I start with a template, which is fine for the first set of transmitted photos. The second set i have to go back change the required fields, which i do one by one. 

The fields that change on the second pass are: Caption (just the last line), object name, special instructions, title, credit, source and copyright.  I use the drop downs as much as possible but this gets tiresome and has room for error when close to deadline.

There must be an easier way?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ideas on how to caption for more than website.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:31:41 AM »
Often i shoot one event for more than one website. When i caption my photos alot of the detials / fields in the stationery pad are the same, but a few fields have to change.

I start with a template, which is fine for the first set of transmitted photos. The second set i have to go back change the required fields, which i do one by one. 

The fields that change on the second pass are: Caption (just the last line), object name, special instructions, title, credit, source and copyright.  I use the drop downs as much as possible but this gets tiresome and has room for error when close to deadline.

Do these fields that change for each website also change for each photo as well?

-Kirk

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
Yes that's right Kirk, but they would be the same for each photo.   e.g. the copyright field changes from one website to the other, but all the photos sent to the same website would have the same copyright info. 

My main concern is loosing the caption info which has the players name and team. The other fields are static and only change from site to site.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
Yes that's right Kirk, but they would be the same for each photo.   e.g. the copyright field changes from one website to the other, but all the photos sent to the same website would have the same copyright info. 

My main concern is loosing the caption info which has the players name and team. The other fields are static and only change from site to site.

If all of this can be predetermined ahead of time, you might try making snapshots of only the changed fields, leaving common fields blank.  Then use the IPTC Stationery Pad to only apply those fields that change from website to website.  It would take two passes but it should be fairly foolproof.

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:07 AM »
I have kinda similar thing too (different websites or different agencies... it's all the same :)), and I have question if it would be possible to do it different way. At the moment, I'm doing it like Kirk wrote, but there would be another, easier solution... if PM would allow it of course, but at the moment it doesn't.
I upload photos to different agencies via FTP, so I was thinking about making snapshot for each ftp server, with option to apply IPTC Stationary pad during ftp upload. But at the moment, this applies current IPTC Stationary pad. In my case, it would need to apply specific pre-defined snapshot of Stationary pad. I have no idea if this would be even possible to program or not.
And there's another thing which I have no idea if it would be even possible to change... At the moment, it's not possible to apply Stationary pad when sending "Original photos" (because I edit photos first in Photoshop, I send "original" photos). I know it's pretty logical on one side, but I'm still hoping there could be chance to apply IPTC Stationary pad even when sending "original" photos, and not just when sending photos saved as jpeg :)

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:35:53 AM »
Kirk - That worked at treat for the most part, thank you. 

Is there a way to change certain text in the caption field?     e.g Canon_shooter \ worldpress to Canon_shooter \ amazon  Is their some sort of variable i could use, while still leave other test inthe caption filed intact? 

When i tried it using your way i seem to of over writen the data in the caption field. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:48:03 AM »
Kirk - That worked at treat for the most part, thank you. 

Is there a way to change certain text in the caption field?     e.g Canon_shooter \ worldpress to Canon_shooter \ amazon  Is their some sort of variable i could use, while still leave other test inthe caption filed intact? 

When i tried it using your way i seem to of over writen the data in the caption field. 

Sure.  You could try Code Replacement.  If you have one field that you could enter a unique code for the website then you could enter that code in some unused IPTC field and then use that field's contents to look up a code for replacement in the other fields.  So let's say you don't use Transmission Reference for anything.  You could enter "website1" in the Transmission Reference field to represent website1.  Before your event you would create a Code Replacement text file with the name of each website as a code and use the new 4.6 feature of having multiple Replacements for each Code:

website1    caption replacement    object name replacement    special instructions replacement    title replacement    source replacement    copyright replacement
website2    caption replacement    object name replacement    special instructions replacement    title replacement    source replacement    copyright replacement
website3    caption replacement    object name replacement    special instructions replacement    title replacement    source replacement    copyright replacement

(there are tabs between each column.)

Then in your various fields you would enter your Code Replacement delimiter which by default is \ and then {transref} and then the number sign # followed by the Replacement index you want to look up and then finally the Code Replacement delimiter again \.  For the Caption field this would look like:

Some caption text \{transref}#1\ followed by more text.

The Object Name field might look like this:

\{transref}#2\

The Copyright field might look like this:

Copyright {year4} \{transref}#6\

I think that would work for you and all you would have to change for each website is the Code in the Transmission Reference field in the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog.  Then you would just apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to the set of photos again.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
By my opinion it is easyer to set a basic IPTC (for example no photographer IDs to be replaced) in the first place, and set up snapshots that add the necessary infos upon sending or saving the images for sending. I do it a lot of time. My name is in the caption but I don't add agency or paper name so I don't have to replace it later when sending to somewhere else I only add the paper later if needed in caption.
I find it Photographer, Credit and the rest of fields can be easily changed upon sending the harder one is caption if it has something entered you want to get rid of.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline mervifwdc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Merv Colton Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
Ditto the above, it's real easy add stuff, not so easy to take it away.

Using different fields per "client" is a cool way to do this, then use the copy files dialog to do the copy AND build the final string they are to see. using the lightening bolt in the bottom left, you can save the different types of copy that build strings.

Merv.
Warning: Spell Checker disabled. Granma may be erotic.