Author Topic: Ingest Folder Name = Shot Date  (Read 8188 times)

Offline greyhoundx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest Folder Name = Shot Date
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
How about the option to have ingest create folder names based on the photo shot date, instead of the date of ingest? Adobe Bridge has this option and it's a more accurate way to import photos for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest Folder Name = Shot Date
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:36:56 PM »
How about the option to have ingest create folder names based on the photo shot date, instead of the date of ingest? Adobe Bridge has this option and it's a more accurate way to import photos for me.

Photo Mechanic has had this capability for more than two years.  You can use Photo Mechanic {variables} to create sub-folders during Ingest.  The variable {shot} will produce the desired result though you can get fancy and create year/month/day folders as well.

The Photo Mechanic manual goes into great detail on the use of {variables} and the various ways they can be used:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo_Mechanic_4.5.3_Manual.pdf

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline greyhoundx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
Ahh, silly me, I thought it would be a common thing and in the drop-down menu. Thanks Kirk, guess it's time to grab a beverage or two and read the entire manual so I'm not missing out on anything else. PM is a great front-end for Nikon's Capture NX 2, keep up the good work.

Offline greyhoundx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »
Actually the "datesort" / "dats" variable gives the same format as 'ingest into a dated folder' option, just using the shot date and not the ingest date. The "shot" variable isn't a naturally sorting format.

I noticed in the "shot" description: "The format is the same as the Date & Time control panel’s ‘short date’ setting."

Where is this "Control Panel" for Date & Time? Didn't seem to to be described in the manual or help file. I looked around the Preferences and Settings menus, but apparently blindness has set in. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
Actually the "datesort" / "dats" variable gives the same format as 'ingest into a dated folder' option, just using the shot date and not the ingest date. The "shot" variable isn't a naturally sorting format.

I noticed in the "shot" description: "The format is the same as the Date & Time control panel’s ‘short date’ setting."

Where is this "Control Panel" for Date & Time? Didn't seem to to be described in the manual or help file. I looked around the Preferences and Settings menus, but apparently blindness has set in. Thanks.

In your Operating System.  On the Mac it is in System Preferences.  On Windows it is in the Control Panels section of the Start Menu.

-Kirk

Offline greyhoundx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
Alright, you're killing me.  ;)

Without it being specified as the one for the O.S., I thought there was one within Photo Mechanic for its own use.

Maybe someday alter it to 'your O.S. control panel for time and date' in the manual & help file for us myopic readers?

Thanks for the clarification.