Author Topic: upgrading  (Read 2043 times)

Offline joedsull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
upgrading
« on: February 20, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »
I'm new to this forum but not Photo Mechanic. I just bit the bullet and purchased a new MacBook Pro. I am upgrading my programs from my old laptop including Photo Mechanic. I have version 4.3.4. The new computer will not load the older version (license?). Must I buy a whole new version or can I just download the upgrade?

JDS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: upgrading
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:49:28 AM »
Joe,

I'm new to this forum but not Photo Mechanic. I just bit the bullet and purchased a new MacBook Pro. I am upgrading my programs from my old laptop including Photo Mechanic. I have version 4.3.4. The new computer will not load the older version (license?). Must I buy a whole new version or can I just download the upgrade?

You just need to re-enter your registration information.  The latest version in the 4.3 series is 4.3.8 so you should definitely get that.  But since you have a MacBook Pro with an Intel processor I will tell you ahead of time that you will likely experience frequent crashes with such an old version of Photo Mechanic on an Intel system.  Version 4.3.8 of Photo Mechanic was created long before the existence of Macs with Intel processors in them.  Apple created an emulator called Rosetta which can enable old PowerPC applications like Photo Mechanic 4.3.8 to run on these more modern systems.  Unfortunately Rosetta does not emulate the PowerPC processor well enough to run Photo Mechanic without issue.

I suggest that you purchase an upgrade license for Photo Mechanic.  You'll leap from version 4.3.4 to version 4.5.4 and will get version 4.6 for free.  Version 4.6 is nearly complete and has a lot of nice features.  We're also running a discount promotion right now (until 4.6 becomes final and ships) for upgrades and new licenses.  The newer versions of Photo Mechanic (the 4.5 and 4.6 series) are compiled to run natively on both PowerPC and Intel processor equipped Macs and therefore run much faster and reliably than the older version running under Rosetta.

I don't want to sound like a sales pitch, but I know for certain that your experience on a MacBook Pro will be much better on a newer version of Photo Mechanic.

You can access both the 4.3.8 version and the Camera Bits store from our website:

http://www.camerabits.com

-Kirk