Author Topic: IPTC Drop Down Lists  (Read 10726 times)

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
IPTC Drop Down Lists
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:28:02 PM »
Hi Kirk

Good to see the new forum.

Would it be possible to alter the order of text in the drop down lists in IPTC Stat Pad? Currently 'delete' is at the top and it is too easy to miss with the mouse and accidently delete the current entry. Better if it was last in the list, along with Edit.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Rains

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Drop Down Lists
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »
Would it be possible to alter the order of text in the drop down lists in IPTC Stat Pad? Currently 'delete' is at the top and it is too easy to miss with the mouse and accidently delete the current entry. Better if it was last in the list, along with Edit.

Except when you have a hundred items in the list, then you would have to scroll quite a distance just to delete an item.

-Kirk

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:29:54 PM »
Yes, good point.

How about rolling the 'edit' and 'remove' into one option and simply use the edit dialog to delete the term? Slower, two more clicks, but safer.

Lots of delete operations have 'Are you sure?' clicks, this one doesn't, so by putting the delete option into the edit dialog you are adding a moment to think about what you are deleting, rather than going D'oh! when you miss-click as I have done.

Nick
Nick Rains

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:14:40 PM »
How about rolling the 'edit' and 'remove' into one option and simply use the edit dialog to delete the term? Slower, two more clicks, but safer.

Do you mean as a submenu?

-Kirk

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »
No, I thought just leave in the 'Edit' option and take out 'Remove'.

This then allows you to delete any entries you like using the existing options in the Edit Dialog. If possible, the entry currently in the text box should be pre-highlighted in the Edit Dialog list to speed up deletion of that particular term. Then the deletion of the current entry only takes 3 clicks - drop down list / edit / delete. That's only one more than current and adds a layer of protection against mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 05:51:17 PM by Nick Rains »
Nick Rains

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »
No, I thought just leave in the 'Edit' option and take out 'Remove'.

This then allows you to delete any entries you like using the existing options in the Edit Dialog. If possible, the entry currently in the text box should be pre-highlighted in the Edit Dialog list to speed up deletion of that particular term. Then the deletion of the current entry only takes 3 clicks.

Well, then at that point, you could just double-click on the word in the text field and then press backspace...

-Kirk

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »
That deletes the entry from the field, not from the list. No problem there.

It's deleting the entry from the list that is what I am on about. This is the function performed by the 'Remove' command and is the one I think is too easy to do by mistake.

I mean that when you get to the Edit IPTC List dialog, the current entry in the text box should be pre-selected for quick editing. Currently you have to find it and highlight it to make the various buttons active. On a long list this is slow amd it follows that the entry you are most likely to want to work with is the one in the text box already.
Nick Rains

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
That deletes the entry from the field, not from the list. No problem there.

It's deleting the entry from the list that is what I am on about. This is the function performed by the 'Remove' command and is the one I think is too easy to do by mistake.

I mean that when you get to the Edit IPTC List dialog, the current entry in the text box should be pre-selected for quick editing. Currently you have to find it and highlight it to make the various buttons active. On a long list this is slow amd it follows that the entry you are most likely to want to work with is the one in the text box already.

I see, so you want it to be "Remove..." and have it bring up the list editor dialog instead of just removing it from the list immediately.  Then just a click on the delete button and then close the dialog...

-Kirk

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »
Yes, that would do it, it adds a safety net. Maybe the Option mod key could be a 'fast' delete.

Better still, remove the 'remove' term, just have 'edit' and add a mod key (alt) to change 'remove' to 'delete'. This way you have to at least think about deleting which is a good safety net too.

Nick Rains