Author Topic: What happens after 1st year license expires...  (Read 17346 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
What happens after 1st year license expires...
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »
I am approaching the end of my first year with PM.  Frankly, I could not have made it this far without it.

What happens when my license expires?  Does the product stop working or am I just not able to get updates (or something else?).

-Mike

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Re: What happens after 1st year license expires...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »
Mike, your copy of PM should continue working indefinitely. You just won't be entitled to free updates after the 1 year period.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »
Mike,

I am approaching the end of my first year with PM.  Frankly, I could not have made it this far without it.

What happens when my license expires?  Does the product stop working or am I just not able to get updates (or something else?).

Kevin is right.  Based on the info you just provided, you will be able to get the entire 4.4.x series but won't be eligible for 4.5 since its "birthdate" will be beyond your free updates period.  At that point you can demo 4.5 and if you like it and want to upgrade, you will have to purchase an upgrade license which lasts for one year beyond the date of purchase.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 05:31:12 AM »
Thanks!

-Mike

Offline tudor8king

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:23:13 AM »
Does PM automatically notify when the years licence is due to end?

David UK

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
David,

Does PM automatically notify when the years licence is due to end?

No, it does not.  That would only strike fear in people using the software.  The copy you are running currently should work long after the free updates period expires, subject to OS upgrades, system upgrades, etc.  Your license to use the software that you are currently running never expires.

-Kirk

Offline MikeCaine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 12:00:35 PM »
My license seems to have expired around 3/2006, but I seem to able to still upgrade with the small point upgrades. When would that stop? For example, I'm currently on 4.4.3.2, but can I get 4.4.3.3 and if so, how can I tell when my license will no longer work with an upgrade?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »
My license seems to have expired around 3/2006, but I seem to able to still upgrade with the small point upgrades. When would that stop? For example, I'm currently on 4.4.3.2, but can I get 4.4.3.3 and if so, how can I tell when my license will no longer work with an upgrade?

Based on what you have said, you will need to purchase a new upgrade license with the 4.5 version.

Please do download the 4.4.3.3 update.  It has some significant fixes in it.

-Kirk

Offline MikeCaine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 02:08:25 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I'm not really enough of a power user to justify the annual fee to myself and now mainly seem to use PM for ingesting and renaming my files.

I'm trying to steer clear of altering the files or using xmp files so I mainly use iView to catalog them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 07:03:53 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I'm not really enough of a power user to justify the annual fee to myself and now mainly seem to use PM for ingesting and renaming my files.

I'm trying to steer clear of altering the files or using xmp files so I mainly use iView to catalog them.

It's not really an annual fee.  For instance your updates period expired seven months ago and yet you're still eligible for version 4.4.x.x updates.  We make sure that everyone can have access to the most stable release of the last major version they're entitled to.

When 4.5 comes out you'll still be able to download it, request a demo code, and evaluate it for 20 days.  At that point you can decide to purchase another updates license.  Because the updates period lasts for a year, it is often the case that users will get two full major upgrades out of a single updates license.

You don't caption your files with metadata?  A catalog with no metadata makes for a difficult system to find your files at a later date.  Keywording and captioning really helps in this regard and makes it really easy to find specific images in the future.  Photo Mechanic excels at captioning and keywording in bulk.  Code Replacement during captioning is a real time-saver.  And if you don't want to modify your RAW files, then XMP sidecars are an excellent way to go.  iView Media Pro works very well with them.

Please do download the 4.4.3.3 update anyway.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 07:34:38 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline MikeCaine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 10:34:59 AM »
It's not really an annual fee. 

Sorry, Kirk - It was a bad choice of words and I understand and appreciate what you're saying.

You don't caption your files with metadata?

I haven't done so far. I shoot 99% RAW and I'm hesitant to write to those files. I'm not too keen on XMP sidecar files, I had enough hassle with Canon 10D thumbnail files before I got my 20D to be keen on external files for each photo. I'm finding that iView is handy for cataloging my files without having to write to them or have sidecar files.

Please do download the 4.4.3.3 update anyway.

I've done that, thanks for your comments