Author Topic: Cropping Error / Using: Save As and Email  (Read 2722 times)

Offline cocoliso

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cropping Error / Using: Save As and Email
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I am getting an intermittent cropping error, when using save as or send via email option. I need the pictures to be saved or sent via email for web, the size needs to be 440 x 255 pixels 72ppi. So, to get the ratio correct in PM I am using the values of 50 x 29 in the crop dialogue box, these numbers are the first whole numbers that scaled to 440 x 255.

The problem is that for the most part I get the right size, but on occasions I get 440 x 254 or 256! This is a problem for me and for the web site, any idea where I am going wrong?

This happens in RAW or JPG and I am wondering if it may have something to do with the fact that sometimes the crops are maybe on a small part of the image in preview mode, thereby making them inaccurate? if this is the case, what is the workaround??? I need this to work with PM as the other option of using PS kills my battery is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

I am using a MBP 2.33 15", Leopard 10.5.6, 2GB Ram, PM 4.5.4

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cropping Error / Using: Save As and Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
I am getting an intermittent cropping error, when using save as or send via email option. I need the pictures to be saved or sent via email for web, the size needs to be 440 x 255 pixels 72ppi. So, to get the ratio correct in PM I am using the values of 50 x 29 in the crop dialogue box, these numbers are the first whole numbers that scaled to 440 x 255.

The problem is that for the most part I get the right size, but on occasions I get 440 x 254 or 256! This is a problem for me and for the web site, any idea where I am going wrong?

This happens in RAW or JPG and I am wondering if it may have something to do with the fact that sometimes the crops are maybe on a small part of the image in preview mode, thereby making them inaccurate? if this is the case, what is the workaround??? I need this to work with PM as the other option of using PS kills my battery is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

I am using a MBP 2.33 15", Leopard 10.5.6, 2GB Ram, PM 4.5.4

Yes, it is likely an accuracy issue.  We improved the accuracy of crops in version 4.6 by quite a bit.  Your accuracy will increase greatly if you do your cropping in 100% zoom, or if you use version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline cocoliso

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Cropping Error / Using: Save As and Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
Mr. Baker,

Many thanks for that info, I appreciate it. And yes, as soon as I can get the buying dept. to part with the cash...

Great app BTW, and waiting for news on the cataloging program, was an iview user, and i'm not convinced with either aperture or lightroom there's just too much going on for them to be practical.