Author Topic: WordService 2.7 doesn't work with Photo Mechanic  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
WordService 2.7 doesn't work with Photo Mechanic
« on: February 26, 2009, 04:28:02 AM »
This is Mac only - I'm on 10.5.6. Been meaning to ask this for sometime. I used to use BBEDIT to transpose text i.e. change case, sort alphabetically etc... I've been using WordService 2.7 for a while now for changing case etc. with text. It's great because you do it within almost all programs. You simply select the text you want to alter, go to Services/Convert, and a list of things to do with the text drops down and you select what you want to do with it and voila! it's done. Executing it is far quicker than writing this. Photo Mechanic is one of the few programs that won't allow you to do this. I find the facility to do this extremely convenient. Is it possible to work the capability in future upgrades?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: WordService 2.7 doesn't work with Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:12:35 AM »
This is Mac only - I'm on 10.5.6. Been meaning to ask this for sometime. I used to use BBEDIT to transpose text i.e. change case, sort alphabetically etc... I've been using WordService 2.7 for a while now for changing case etc. with text. It's great because you do it within almost all programs. You simply select the text you want to alter, go to Services/Convert, and a list of things to do with the text drops down and you select what you want to do with it and voila! it's done. Executing it is far quicker than writing this. Photo Mechanic is one of the few programs that won't allow you to do this. I find the facility to do this extremely convenient. Is it possible to work the capability in future upgrades?

Which parts of Photo Mechanic are you trying to use this?  If it is in a modal dialog, then that may be the problem.  I don't think most services work in modal dialogs.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
Hi Kirk,

It's in the IPTC stationery pad. In the caption box and others. When I'm setting up the stationery pad some words are used many times over and some need to be formatted as all caps, all lowercase, or first letter caps. So I either have to copy each version in Pasteboard (that's a great program BTW), or do it manually. It works in Lightroom and most other programs I work with.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
It's in the IPTC stationery pad. In the caption box and others. When I'm setting up the stationery pad some words are used many times over and some need to be formatted as all caps, all lowercase, or first letter caps. So I either have to copy each version in Pasteboard (that's a great program BTW), or do it manually. It works in Lightroom and most other programs I work with.

The IPTC Stationery Pad is a modal dialog box.  Maybe try Autocompletion and create a list of words in the case you need them in.  Then all you'll have to do is type a few letters.

Also, you can use variables with some special codes that will UPPERCASE, lowercase, and Personal Case an entire field in the IPTC Stationery Pad.  So for instance if you wanted all of the Keywords to be UPPERCASE then you would do the following in the Keywords field of the IPTC Stationery Pad:

{keywords:UC}

...and then Apply the IPTC Stationery Pad.  I think this could be even faster than using WordService.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
Thanks for that Kirk, I'll try it out.