Author Topic: Unraveling SimpleViewer (a brief how to for .mac users)  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Keith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unraveling SimpleViewer (a brief how to for .mac users)
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
Hello all,

I recently switched my online gallery over to SimpleViewer (from the Apple .mac/Mobile Me gallery). Doing so was not without its challenges. If you have a Mobile Me account here's what you do:

1.  Export a SimpleViewer gallery to a folder on your computer.
2.  Move the folder to: iDisk>web>sites>[the folder lives here].
3.  in your browser, go to: web.me.com/username/GalleryName/index.html (no 'www')
4.  Link to it. (In my case, I linked it to a blogger account but I've read you can also make an HTML snippet to integrate with/into an iweb page.)

I discovered this super simple fix through much searching and much trial and error.

In reading this forum, I also learned how to have captions show up for each individual image in your gallery:

1.  While in PM, in browser mode, make a caption entry for each image in the "IPTC info for file..." window. (one way to get there is to click on the lowercase "i" at bottom left of the image thumbnail. If you are captioning more than one image, click on the "Save & >" button on the r/h side of this window.)

2.  While in SimpleViewer Export window, enter {caption} in the captions window. You can do the same to show the filename: {filename} and, I'm guessing any information IPTC info. you may have listed for each individual file.

To the professional or long-time user, this may be pretty basic stuff. But for the neophyte like myself, I only arrived at this info after MUCH, MUCH, MUCH stumbling around. It was one of those things that makes you shake your head and ask why it isn't posted on either the Camerabits or AirtightInteractive website. So I thought I would share.

And that brings me to say, hey, Kirk or other CB folk: a few HOW TO sections or tutorials on subjects like this would be nice!

Now I need to read up on the improvements in PM 4.6 from 4.5.4 and see just how much better off I would be with SimpleViewer if/once I upgrade. Anyone?

Offline jonathan1234

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Unraveling SimpleViewer (a brief how to for .mac users)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
Thanks the caption is a good idea....
I just export directly to idisk...
I keep all mine in sub dir named simpleviewer/Gallery_"Name". I then go into iweb and add a picture to a page and link to it. I think this might save you a few steps.

I also wish there was more info out there or tutorials. I get a lot of good ideas from this forum, and find they are very responsive.

Jonathan

Offline Keith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Unraveling SimpleViewer (a brief how to for .mac users)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »
Thanks Jonathan,

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are saying as I am a bit thick, but I'll play with this and see if I am able to make it happen. Otherwise I'll post for help.

Keith