Author Topic: copy vs move  (Read 4101 times)

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
copy vs move
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:05:43 AM »
Hi Kirk-
I noticed in 4.4.3.1 "copy" vs "move" has been changed from previous versions. In older versions, you could generate high quality thumbnails using either of those commands as long as you checked the box in preferences (I'm not sure in which version this was changed, but I first noticed it now). Now, it only generates thumbs in copy. The nice thing is, is that's it's quicker to move if you don't have to generate thumbs. Here's my downside. I am constantly downloading folders of 100+ images that have been FTPed to me. These arrive without generated thumbs. After I get them on my desktop I copy them into an existing folder by player or subject. I can no longer pick "move" since I want to generate a thumb. So now I'm faced with having to delete the set, or tag them for deletion at the end. This is an extra step that I wish I didn't have to take.

Please see my post from May 30th (link below) for an idea/solution. I wrote this before the "move" command stopped making thumbs. Another idea would be to have a drop down menu like RAW+JPG handling that would be "thumbnails" & have a choice to generate or not generate.
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=213.0

Thanks!
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: copy vs move
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:00:43 PM »
Caryn,

I noticed in 4.4.3.1 "copy" vs "move" has been changed from previous versions. In older versions, you could generate high quality thumbnails using either of those commands as long as you checked the box in preferences (I'm not sure in which version this was changed, but I first noticed it now). Now, it only generates thumbs in copy. The nice thing is, is that's it's quicker to move if you don't have to generate thumbs. Here's my downside. I am constantly downloading folders of 100+ images that have been FTPed to me. These arrive without generated thumbs. After I get them on my desktop I copy them into an existing folder by player or subject. I can no longer pick "move" since I want to generate a thumb. So now I'm faced with having to delete the set, or tag them for deletion at the end. This is an extra step that I wish I didn't have to take.

Please see my post from May 30th (link below) for an idea/solution. I wrote this before the "move" command stopped making thumbs. Another idea would be to have a drop down menu like RAW+JPG handling that would be "thumbnails" & have a choice to generate or not generate.
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=213.0

I would rather add a new tool that would bulk generate thumbnails than slow down the move case.  Would that be alright?

-Kirk