Author Topic: metadata: embedded, sidecar or both?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline jose

• View Profile
metadata: embedded, sidecar or both?
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »
Well,

I try to write the metadata only with Photo Mechanic, and soon they are extracted with different catalog software: Expression Media, AtomicView, etc…(  :) and waiting the Photo Mechanic Database...  :)  ) If I need to make a change, I do with Photo Mechanic and relaunch the database: the catalog software never touch the metadata.

My Preferences in PhotoMechanic are (for RAW files) to write IPTC, IPTC4XMP and Sidecar.

Thinking about the future… Can arise some problem maintaining so many metadata? (since I have already commented, I only publish metadata with Photo Mechanic)

thanks!
Jose.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: metadata: embedded, sidecar or both?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Jose,

I try to write the metadata only with Photo Mechanic, and soon they are extracted with different catalog software: Expression Media, AtomicView, etc…(  :) and waiting the Photo Mechanic Database...  :)  ) If I need to make a change, I do with Photo Mechanic and relaunch the database: the catalog software never touch the metadata.

My Preferences in PhotoMechanic are (for RAW files) to write IPTC, IPTC4XMP and Sidecar.

Thinking about the future… Can arise some problem maintaining so many metadata? (since I have already commented, I only publish metadata with Photo Mechanic)

That's really hard to say since so much can change in the future.  I know for certain that if you're using Adobe's products with RAW files that you definitely don't want to embed XMP into them.  Use XMP sidecar files and optionally embed IPTC data if you wish.

Other than that advice for now, I'm unable to see into the future... ;)

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
Yes, the Adobe position is strange: creates DNG specifications with metadata embedded and soon does not recognize the embedded metadata in other RAW formats in its applications…

At the moment I prefer that they exceed to that they lack the metadata. I only use Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks!
Jose.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
Jose,

Yes, the Adobe position is strange: creates DNG specifications with metadata embedded and soon does not recognize the embedded metadata in other RAW formats in its applications…

At the moment I prefer that they exceed to that they lack the metadata. I only use Adobe Photoshop.

Definitely do not embed XMP data into your RAW files then.

-Kirk