Author Topic: Quick Search  (Read 7867 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
Quick Search
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »
I've just been trying out the Quick Search in PM 4.6 and there are a couple of issues that, I think, need improving.

1.  If I'm currently in a contact sheet for an event that I'm working on, I enter a name in the Quick Search field, hit return and I'm presented with all the images of that person from that event - great so far.  However, there is no easy way to then get back to the full contact sheet for the event. I should be able to click on the x on the right side of the Quick Search field to clear the field and return to the contact sheet I was previously working on. This is how the quick search field works in other apps such as Mail.

2.  A couple of times I've entered a name in the Quick Search field and it does a full Spotlight search and returns all the images of that person that are on my hard drive. If I do a search for "red dress", for example, it can take a long tie to complete the Spotlight search and there is no easy way to cancel a search in progress.  There should be an option to restrict the search to just the current folder being worked on.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Paul Smith

PM 4.6
Mac OSX 10.5.6

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Quick Search
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:00:56 PM »
Paul,

I've just been trying out the Quick Search in PM 4.6 and there are a couple of issues that, I think, need improving.

1.  If I'm currently in a contact sheet for an event that I'm working on, I enter a name in the Quick Search field, hit return and I'm presented with all the images of that person from that event - great so far.  However, there is no easy way to then get back to the full contact sheet for the event. I should be able to click on the x on the right side of the Quick Search field to clear the field and return to the contact sheet I was previously working on. This is how the quick search field works in other apps such as Mail.

2.  A couple of times I've entered a name in the Quick Search field and it does a full Spotlight search and returns all the images of that person that are on my hard drive. If I do a search for "red dress", for example, it can take a long tie to complete the Spotlight search and there is no easy way to cancel a search in progress.  There should be an option to restrict the search to just the current folder being worked on.

There is a little popup menu in the Quick Search field that allows you to restrict the search to the items already listed in the Contact Sheet.  Also, to cancel the search, press Command-period and the search will be stopped.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
OK, I see that, but there's no easy way to get back to that contact sheet (other than going to File>Open Recent>...)

Cheers,

Paul

Offline mf_photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
OK, I see that, but there's no easy way to get back to that contact sheet (other than going to File>Open Recent>...)

Yes! This drives me nuts. It sounds like a little thing, but it's one of the reasons I don't use the PM search tool often. Has there been any change/update to this? Would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks.

PM 4.6.1
OSX 10.5.7

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »

Yes! This drives me nuts. It sounds like a little thing, but it's one of the reasons I don't use the PM search tool often. Has there been any change/update to this? Would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks.

PM 4.6.1
OSX 10.5.7

So you just want the search results cleared and want to see just what the folder(s) contained?

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »

So you just want the search results cleared and want to see just what the folder(s) contained?

-Kirk

Yes, that's exactly right. Clear the search reults and return to the contact sheet/folder previously being viewed.

Offline mf_photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
Agreed. That would be really ideal.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 05:14:20 PM »

I've added that feature in a build of 4.6.2.  Would either (or both) of you like to test it out?

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes, I'd be happy to try it out.

Cheers,

Paul
Featureflash.com

Offline mf_photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
Sorry, late response. Would love to try it out if still necessary.
Thanks Kirk.

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
Is quick search a Mac thing? I cannot find it on my PC

Monty

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
Monty,

Is quick search a Mac thing? I cannot find it on my PC

Yes.  Spotlight (what the QuickSearch tool is based on) is only on Mac OS X.

-Kirk

Offline Davpino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 01:15:18 AM »

I've added that feature in a build of 4.6.2.  Would either (or both) of you like to test it out?

-Kirk

Great! I've been waiting for this feature.
Still needing a Tester?

I hope the feature works as expected and will come in 4.6.2!

Greetings!