Author Topic: 4.6 import IPTC problem  (Read 11042 times)

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
4.6 import IPTC problem
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »
OS Vista 2Gb RAM.  Version 4.5 exports iPTC fields as *.XMP file   (copyright,location,country etc) . 4.6 looks for *.PMX files to import and cannot parse the saved files.  Can't find a previous thread on this.  V tedious to redo all field menus so I'm sure there must be a way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6 import IPTC problem
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »
OS Vista 2Gb RAM.  Version 4.5 exports iPTC fields as *.XMP file   (copyright,location,country etc) . 4.6 looks for *.PMX files to import and cannot parse the saved files.  Can't find a previous thread on this.  V tedious to redo all field menus so I'm sure there must be a way.

Can you explain what it is that you're trying to accomplish?  Version 4.6 running on the same system as 4.5.x is running on should see the same lists for each IPTC field.  There should be nothing to export/import at all.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
Nope -the lists are empty apart from the last setting I used under 4.5.  When I try to change "city" say there are no options listed in the drop down menu - same holds true for all fields. Cheers.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Nope -the lists are empty apart from the last setting I used under 4.5.  When I try to change "city" say there are no options listed in the drop down menu - same holds true for all fields.

And what do you see if you run 4.5 again?

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
In 4.5 all the drop downs are fully populated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »
In 4.5 all the drop downs are fully populated.

OK, well I don't know why that would have happened.  But here is how you can workaround the issue.  Start PM 4.5.x.  Open up the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Click on any of the dropdown menus to the right of any text field and choose Edit (field name here)...  Now you'll see the list editor dialog.  Click Export and give the file a name.  Use the IPTC List: popup menu to switch to the next list and then Export again.  Repeat until you've exported each of your lists.  Then quit PM 4.5.x and start up PM 4.6.  Repeat the process in the reverse, importing each list.

I know it would be tedious, but it should be far easier than typing them in again.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
Thank you - yep better than starting over with my chicken pecking technique,  Cheers

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
Next day they've all disappeared again - think a re-install is coming on.  Strange as my "export text" preferences are there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
Next day they've all disappeared again - think a re-install is coming on.  Strange as my "export text" preferences are there.

Yes, please download the installer again from our website and then reinstall.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 04:06:28 AM »
Re-installed PM6.  Same problem - I import the lists as text - OK for the session - close and reopen PM6 and they've gone again.  Perhaps coincidentally Photoshop (CS2) lost all my "actions".  Have run a looooong series of virus checks - nothing found.  Uninstalled PM6  - will check back if and when there are revisions.  Cheers

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »
4.6.1 Beta exhibits exactly the same symptoms.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
4.6.1 Beta exhibits exactly the same symptoms.

Well, more than likely your preferences were re-saved when you used PM 4.6 and you'll need to remove them and then they'll get imported when you startup PM 4.6.1.

You can find the PM 4.6 preferences file here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Application Data\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

Make sure you've quit PM first.  Delete the prefs file.  Then start PM 4.6.1 up again.  It should import all of your PM 4.5.x preferences with the exception of FTP As snapshots.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
Can't find that path to that file - don't have "C/Application data" for a start .   Just tried Beta 3 which did not have full IPTC menus.   Tried searching for the prefs file but Vista search is a pain in the butt - very keen to connect to the web for fiules I've just misplaced in a folder someplace. Cheers DS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
Can't find that path to that file - don't have "C/Application data" for a start .   Just tried Beta 3 which did not have full IPTC menus.   Tried searching for the prefs file but Vista search is a pain in the butt - very keen to connect to the web for fiules I've just misplaced in a folder someplace. Cheers DS

On Vista the path would be:

C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

Quit PM.  Delete the above file and then run PM 4.6.1 again.

Your settings should be imported correctly now.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Excellent - that did the trick - many thanks.