Author Topic: Thumbnails view problem  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbnails view problem
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »
Hello,

For some reasons I can't see some (about 1/2) of my sumbnails in the PM.  I am using PM 4.6 on WinXP SP2 3GB RAM.  I did what Kirk suggested (go to Preferences->Cache->Clear On Exit), I manually deleted files from Cache, I restarted machine but they are still black.  However I can open the file, modify it and save it back and PM will show it.  I have enough disk space.  Those files are my NEF files.

Please advise.

Sincerely,
Vlad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnails view problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »
Vlad,

For some reasons I can't see some (about 1/2) of my sumbnails in the PM.  I am using PM 4.6 on WinXP SP2 3GB RAM.  I did what Kirk suggested (go to Preferences->Cache->Clear On Exit), I manually deleted files from Cache, I restarted machine but they are still black.  However I can open the file, modify it and save it back and PM will show it.  I have enough disk space.  Those files are my NEF files.

What application are you using to open the file, modify it and save it?

Can you send me a sample image that shows a black thumbnail?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for help.  I am using Nikon Capture NX2 v2.2.0

I will send you my thumbnails snapshot.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Vlad.

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I fount that this is the problem not with PM, but with NEF files, since I have the same black thumbnails in the Nikon Capture NX2.  This happened when I've done batch process on NEF files from Nikon Capture NX2.

Sincerely,
Vlad.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:21:26 AM »
Hmm, seems like NX did not correctly update the embedded JPG. What I suggest you do is that you have NX reprocess the files (without altering them of course).  There are several ways of doing this:

• Perform a "save as", choose NEF as the file type
  • Copy a setting that is the same as one currently in the file to the clipboard (e.g. from the Develop|Camera&Lens Corrections, "Auto Lateral Color Aberation", select only this setting, right click, Copy Adjustments, or press Ctrl/CMD-C). Then Paste this setting onto the files you want to have reprocessed. NX will then ask you what to do, choose "Show Differences", and then choose to only change the "Develop" settings.

Hope this helps
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl