Author Topic: Using PM 4.6 to ftp to Exposure Manager ??  (Read 11683 times)

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using PM 4.6 to ftp to Exposure Manager ??
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
 I am a newbie. I shoot sports photos with a Canon system. Recently I bout PM 4.6 and upload my images into PM, then ftp the photos to my Exposure Manager site. Somehow I figured out how to use PM to send photos to my main gallery on Exposure Manager, and then used batch file command to move those images to individual folders on my EM site. After doing this for a few weeks, suddenly it is not working. PM Queue says that all images transfered without error. However the images are no where to be found on my EM site. As far as I can tell I have not changed anything.
I just don't know if I'm smart enough to figure this out.
I'd appreciate any ideas and all help!
thanks,
Tony P

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Using PM 4.6 to ftp to Exposure Manager ??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
I failed to mention I am using Mac OSX 10.5.6 if that matters.
Tony P

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
Tony,

I failed to mention I am using Mac OSX 10.5.6 if that matters.

Please get the latest beta version of Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 from the Announcements section of the forums, and then try using the new Exposure Manager uploader template.  It should let you choose which gallery to upload into directly.

-Kirk

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:05:51 AM »
Hey Kirk, I have installed 4.6.1.
I tried to ftp a batch of photos. I'm doing everything the same way as I have the last couple of weeks. In the past the photos would only upload to the root Main Gallery.
Starting this past Sunday evening nothing uploads at all to any gallery.
The Queue shows the transfer in progress, then complete and with no errors. But when I look into my EM account there are no photos uploaded.
I'd appreciate any other ideas, I'm loosing sales.
thanks Tony p

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:15:40 AM »
Tony,

Hey Kirk, I have installed 4.6.1.
I tried to ftp a batch of photos. I'm doing everything the same way as I have the last couple of weeks. In the past the photos would only upload to the root Main Gallery.
Starting this past Sunday evening nothing uploads at all to any gallery.
The Queue shows the transfer in progress, then complete and with no errors. But when I look into my EM account there are no photos uploaded.
I'd appreciate any other ideas, I'm loosing sales.

Are you using the Exposure Manager uploader template, or the FTP template?

-Kirk

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »
Kirk, I honestly do not understand your question!
Is there any hope for me?
tony p

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
Tony,

Kirk, I honestly do not understand your question!
Is there any hope for me?

Open up the Uploader window (File->Upload...), then choose Exposure Manager from the 'Selected Uploader:' popup menu.  Click on 'Connection Settings...' at the bottom of the Uploader window and enter your Exposure Manager account settings.  Then use the Uploader window to set your settings (scaling, cropping, etc.) and then click on the 'Send' button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 05:33:08 PM »
Yes Kirk, that is what I am doing. I just got an e-mail from EM saying that they have been having problems with job servers the last few days and that may be affecting my uploads.
Does that make any sense to you?
thanks,
Tony p

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »
Tony,

Yes Kirk, that is what I am doing. I just got an e-mail from EM saying that they have been having problems with job servers the last few days and that may be affecting my uploads.
Does that make any sense to you?

Not other than it sounds like the problem is on their end...

-Kirk

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
Kirk,

EM was having problems. The next day, everything started working great.
Now my PM beta has expired. So I went back to PM prior to Beta last night. When is the much improved PM Beta going to be released? Can I re-install it again?

Also, I got an e-mail today from EM, can you help me understand this e-mail from EM? :

"Tony:

We've been asked by our tech team to contact you ASAP regarding your workflow.

They are reporting that you seem to be uploading jobs one or two images at a time, and then schedule many others. These really mess up the job servers they want to know what upload method you are using and why/how they are scheduled two images at a time.  If you use PhotoMechanic, we don't recommend using it as they messed up the REST implementation which hopefully will be fixed in the next version.

Can you please shed some light on this for us?

Regards,
Bruce Fairclough,
Director, Customer Support"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:24:49 AM »
Tony,

EM was having problems. The next day, everything started working great.
Now my PM beta has expired. So I went back to PM prior to Beta last night. When is the much improved PM Beta going to be released? Can I re-install it again?

Also, I got an e-mail today from EM, can you help me understand this e-mail from EM? :

"Tony:

We've been asked by our tech team to contact you ASAP regarding your workflow.

They are reporting that you seem to be uploading jobs one or two images at a time, and then schedule many others. These really mess up the job servers they want to know what upload method you are using and why/how they are scheduled two images at a time.  If you use PhotoMechanic, we don't recommend using it as they messed up the REST implementation which hopefully will be fixed in the next version.

Can you please shed some light on this for us?"

I don't see how we can mess up their API.  They provide the API.  Their API is the only one out of all of the uploaders that we support that requires us to let them know when a file has been uploaded so that they can process the file.  Apparently their server doesn't like being notified that a file has been uploaded right after it has been uploaded.  It seems that they would rather be notified only when all of the files in the batch have been uploaded.  We are making changes to support that need of theirs.

As for the Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 beta, the most recent version is available for download from the Announcements section of the forums.  It is perfectly fine to download it and reinstall it.

-Kirk

Offline Tonyp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »
Kirk, I have another issue. If I select say 50 photos to upload via ftp to EM, usually 48 or 49 will upload.What am I doing wrong?
Is it a bug?
thanks,
tony p

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
Tony,

Kirk, I have another issue. If I select say 50 photos to upload via ftp to EM, usually 48 or 49 will upload.What am I doing wrong?

Until we have the code setup to send out the 'process' command when the queue is empty, it would probably be best to just use the FTP uploader template to upload to Exposure Manager and then logon to their site to manually tell it to process your uploaded images.

-Kirk