Author Topic: Saving jpegs-resolution question  (Read 4593 times)

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
Saving jpegs-resolution question
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:37 AM »
I've tried searching for this but didn't find the answer.

When using the 'save photo as' feature in PM I have a few questions.

*I am saving from RAW files, sometimes DNG, but in this case NEF

I am looking to create the highest quality JPEG images.

1. Should I use JPEG or RAW for "Source for RAW+JPEG? (I only have RAW)

2. When using RAW, should I "Use Embeded preview" or "Render Raw"?

My guess, is that using the embeded preview will retain my in camera settings during the save as?

I have tried both ways. My 24mb raw files though are at times saved as 700 and 900k files. Some in the batch are 2 and 3mb. I thought that they should be in the 4-6mb range however. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to create high rez jpeg files to deliver to a client that doesn't want RAW files.

thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving jpegs-resolution question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
Court,

I've tried searching for this but didn't find the answer.

When using the 'save photo as' feature in PM I have a few questions.

*I am saving from RAW files, sometimes DNG, but in this case NEF

I am looking to create the highest quality JPEG images.

1. Should I use JPEG or RAW for "Source for RAW+JPEG? (I only have RAW)

Since you only have RAW files, this will make no difference.  You can set it to either setting.

Quote from: courtlevephoto
2. When using RAW, should I "Use Embeded preview" or "Render Raw"?

My guess, is that using the embeded preview will retain my in camera settings during the save as?

If you "Render RAW" then Apple's ImageIO rendering will be used.  Your saved image won't look the same as the embedded preview.  Using the embedded preview will result in getting an image that looks just like it does in the Preview window (unless you're forcing RAW rendering in the Preview window.)

Quote from: courtlevephoto
I have tried both ways. My 24mb raw files though are at times saved as 700 and 900k files. Some in the batch are 2 and 3mb. I thought that they should be in the 4-6mb range however. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to create high rez jpeg files to deliver to a client that doesn't want RAW files.

Are you cropping?  Do some of the NEF files have small previews in them?  DNG files can definitely have small previews in them.  Save As isn't going to be able to produce a larger file than the embedded preview unless you force RAW rendering and then if you do that the image won't look the same as the embedded preview.

What is the width and height of the 700k and 900k files?  I'd guess that they are 1/2 or 1/4 the resolution of your NEF files and that's because the embedded previews are small.

-Kirk

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
Makes sense... it's only saving jpegs from the embedded preview. Bummer... The images look fine for this project as shot in camera. But I can't produce large enough files for my client using save photo as. Guess I will have to 'edit' all the shots after-al.

thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »
Court,

Makes sense... it's only saving jpegs from the embedded preview. Bummer... The images look fine for this project as shot in camera. But I can't produce large enough files for my client using save photo as. Guess I will have to 'edit' all the shots after-al.

If you're using Nikon Capture NX2, it will save full resolution previews which work nicely with Save As in Photo Mechanic.  If you're using Adobe products and save as DNG, just be sure to tell the software you want large previews.  These will also work nicely with Save As in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I've done some tests.  I took original NEF file and did 'Save As' on it from PM, and I got JPG file with 4,251.2 KB and 4256x2832 px (12.1MP, 3:2).  Then I opened this file in NEF and did small change, save it and then did again 'Save As' via PM with the same settings.  This time I got 12,444.8 KB file and 4045 x 2691 px (10.9 MP, 3:2).

My understanding is that 'Save As' from original takes preview, and it is smaller, but 'Save As' after changes by Nikon Capture NX2 use real JPG.  Is this means that in order for me to have the highest resolution I have to do some change for each NEF file by Nikon Capture NX2?

Also if you look at resolution first image (original) has higher resolution, but smaller size, and second (changed via CNX2) has lower resolution, but bigger size.  How do you explain this?

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,
Vlad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:05:09 PM »
Vlad,

I've done some tests.  I took original NEF file and did 'Save As' on it from PM, and I got JPG file with 4,251.2 KB and 4256x2832 px (12.1MP, 3:2).  Then I opened this file in NEF and did small change, save it and then did again 'Save As' via PM with the same settings.  This time I got 12,444.8 KB file and 4045 x 2691 px (10.9 MP, 3:2).

My understanding is that 'Save As' from original takes preview, and it is smaller, but 'Save As' after changes by Nikon Capture NX2 use real JPG.  Is this means that in order for me to have the highest resolution I have to do some change for each NEF file by Nikon Capture NX2?

Also if you look at resolution first image (original) has higher resolution, but smaller size, and second (changed via CNX2) has lower resolution, but bigger size.  How do you explain this?

JPEG compression is variable.  Your image data changed from something that was easier for JPEG to compress to something that was more complex for JPEG to compress.  That could easily account for such a change in size.  The JPEG preview produced by the camera was likely saved with far lower quality than what Capture NX2 produced.

-Kirk