Author Topic: Why When Saving converts CMYK jpgs to RGB  (Read 2552 times)

Offline bobbower

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Why When Saving converts CMYK jpgs to RGB
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
Hi Support,
I am Mac OS X Tiger and want to send a lot of files to a PC client. I have already color-corrected RGBs into CMYK. I want to use Save As because it enables me to make the files smaller (ie: set to 4" wide). That's useful so they can receive small samples to view. But when I use Save As it converts all the CMYK files to RGB -- and the colors are horribly over-saturated and blown out. (These same CMYK files, if converted back to RGB in PHotoshop would remain the same colour -- so why is PM doing that? Is there a way I can use the useful scaling functions in Save As command AND... i1) Either stop the conversion from CMYK to RGB.. or 2) get results in RGB that are not blown out or over-saturated?
Appreciate any help you can give. Sample files attached showing how Save Pghotos As blows out and converts to RGB weirdly.
Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Why When Saving converts CMYK jpgs to RGB
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »
Bob,

Hi Support,
I am Mac OS X Tiger and want to send a lot of files to a PC client. I have already color-corrected RGBs into CMYK. I want to use Save As because it enables me to make the files smaller (ie: set to 4" wide). That's useful so they can receive small samples to view. But when I use Save As it converts all the CMYK files to RGB -- and the colors are horribly over-saturated and blown out. (These same CMYK files, if converted back to RGB in PHotoshop would remain the same colour -- so why is PM doing that? Is there a way I can use the useful scaling functions in Save As command AND... i1) Either stop the conversion from CMYK to RGB.. or 2) get results in RGB that are not blown out or over-saturated?
Appreciate any help you can give. Sample files attached showing how Save Pghotos As blows out and converts to RGB weirdly.

Photo Mechanic does not have the capability to work directly in the CMYK color space.  It must convert your CMYK images to RGB in order to render them.  This conversion is complex and imperfect.  I suggest not using Photo Mechanic for that task.  I suggest using another application like Photoshop instead.

-Kirk