Author Topic: Metadata from Canon 50D Raw File  (Read 11566 times)

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata from Canon 50D Raw File
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »
XP SP4

When I view the metadata in my .cr2 file using FM it does not contain all the information as recorded by the camera. For example, the copyright field is missing. I can see it in the IPTC section using Bridge (CS3 & CS4) and LR 2.2. I would think that IPTC data should be fairly consistent?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata from Canon 50D Raw File
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
XP SP4

When I view the metadata in my .cr2 file using FM it does not contain all the information as recorded by the camera. For example, the copyright field is missing. I can see it in the IPTC section using Bridge (CS3 & CS4) and LR 2.2. I would think that IPTC data should be fairly consistent?

FM?

Which version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:22:10 PM »
Opps, I downloaded the latest version today (4.6). Don't know where FM came from  ???

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »
Opps, I downloaded the latest version today (4.6). Don't know where FM came from  ???

Do your CR2 files have XMP sidecar files?  Or is your metadata embedded into your CR2 files?

-Kirk

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:42 PM »
The .cr2 files are as they were uploaded from the CF card, i.e., no xmp sidecar files.

BTW, when I click on Help/Photo Mechanic Help ... nothing happens. I can start it from the Start folder though.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
The .cr2 files are as they were uploaded from the CF card, i.e., no xmp sidecar files.

BTW, when I click on Help/Photo Mechanic Help ... nothing happens. I can start it from the Start folder though.

If these files are fresh out of the camera then the data you're likely referring to is not IPTC data at all.  It is the EXIF description tag.  Photo Mechanic does not display the EXIF description tag as IPTC data.  My suggestion would be to use Ingest with an IPTC Stationery Pad and add your own copyright information to the Copyright field.  Then it will be put into IPTC and/or XMP data for you and all applications will then see it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

That's odd.  It starts right up in my favorite browser right away on my Windows XP system.

-Kirk

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »

If these files are fresh out of the camera then the data you're likely referring to is not IPTC data at all.  It is the EXIF description tag.  Photo Mechanic does not display the EXIF description tag as IPTC data.  My suggestion would be to use Ingest with an IPTC Stationery Pad and add your own copyright information to the Copyright field.  Then it will be put into IPTC and/or XMP data for you and all applications will then see it.

-Kirk

OK.

The copyright and Author (Artist) fields are set by the camera.

In DPP they are shown in the shooting information rather than in metadata. In Bridge CS3/4 they are shown in the IPTC (IIM, Legacy). In LR 2.1 they are shown in IPTC. One would think that these items would have been standardized by now.

I see that the camera puts the same information in a jpg file in the Copyright field with an EXIF tag of 8298 and Artist field with an EXIF tag of 013B (using Opanda).

Using the camera to insert copyright information does not appear to serve a useful purpose if it is not used.

Oh well, I can work around it. Thank you for your response.

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »

That's odd.  It starts right up in my favorite browser right away on my Windows XP system.

-Kirk

I agree. Every application I use, except for yours, has no problem starting help.

When I click help, I can hear the drive start up, and then nothing happens. No error messages are recorded in the Event Log. It works from the Start menu or via an url of C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic 4.6\Help\index.html. What linkage is being used when one clicks Help in the menu bar.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »

I agree. Every application I use, except for yours, has no problem starting help.

When I click help, I can hear the drive start up, and then nothing happens. No error messages are recorded in the Event Log. It works from the Start menu or via an url of C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic 4.6\Help\index.html. What linkage is being used when one clicks Help in the menu bar.

This is what URL it brings up in my browser:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Camera%20Bits/Photo%20Mechanic%204.6/Help/index.html

-Kirk

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »

-Kirk

That works fine if I plug it in directly. Is there anything you would like me to check or try? I am using IE 7.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »

-Kirk

That works fine if I plug it in directly. Is there anything you would like me to check or try? I am using IE 7.

Strangely enough I was checking the forums for this very issue.

I'm using FireFox v2 with XP Pro SP3 on both my laptop and desktop and both exhibit the symptoms Mike described when trying to open help from within Photo Mechanic.  No errors, just busy for bit an then nothing.

It opens fine from Start\Programs\Photo Mechanic 4.6\Photo Mechanic Help or using the URL Kirk provided.

I believe this has existed all previous versions of Photo Mechanic that I have had installed and certainly with 4.5.

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16:06 AM »
Jerry and Mike,

-Kirk

Strangely enough I was checking the forums for this very issue.

I'm using FireFox v2 with XP Pro SP3 on both my laptop and desktop and both exhibit the symptoms Mike described when trying to open help from within Photo Mechanic.  No errors, just busy for bit an then nothing.

It opens fine from Start\Programs\Photo Mechanic 4.6\Photo Mechanic Help or using the URL Kirk provided.

I believe this has existed all previous versions of Photo Mechanic that I have had installed and certainly with 4.5.

What happens if you try to bring up the "Photo Mechanic Support Forums..." item on the Help menu, does it work?

-Kirk

Offline MikeV99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:27 AM »

What happens if you try to bring up the "Photo Mechanic Support Forums..." item on the Help menu, does it work?

-Kirk

Everything links OK for me except Photo Mechanic Help ...

Mike

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »

-Kirk

Everything links OK for me except Photo Mechanic Help ...

Mike

Same here - Forums work, Help does not.

Jerry