Author Topic: Is there a way to open in LR only the files I selected in PM?  (Read 16845 times)

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
Hi,

I will try to elaborate more on this.

Im a wedding photog that shoots around 3.000 raw files in a average wedding day.

After I ingest all my cards, I use PM to make my choices of which file is going to be developed by LR and later PS.
After I have picked all my favourite files (around 500 files, the ones that will be delivered to clients), I open LR and import ALL 3.000 files again to a LR catalog. Of course, they were previously labeled in PM and are synched, so I can hide the unwanted ones.

But I want to make this step wiser.

So instead of ingesting everything one more time in LR, and hide the files I dont want, I would like to import in LR just my 500 favourite shots ONLY.

Is there a way of doing it?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Is there a way to open in LR only the files I selected in PM?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
Hi,

I will try to elaborate more on this.

Im a wedding photog that shoots around 3.000 raw files in a average wedding day.

After I ingest all my cards, I use PM to make my choices of which file is going to be developed by LR and later PS.
After I have picked all my favourite files (around 500 files, the ones that will be delivered to clients), I open LR and import ALL 3.000 files again to a LR catalog. Of course, they were previously labeled in PM and are synched, so I can hide the unwanted ones.

But I want to make this step wiser.

So instead of ingesting everything one more time in LR, and hide the files I dont want, I would like to import in LR just my 500 favourite shots ONLY.

Is there a way of doing it?

Thanks!

The only way I can think of would be to move the 500 files to a different folder and import only that folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
thanks for answering,

is there a way I can copy all tagged/labelled files to another folder via PM, without having to copy/paste on each file via file browser?
What is the best way of doing it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:45 PM »
thanks for answering,

is there a way I can copy all tagged/labelled files to another folder via PM, without having to copy/paste on each file via file browser?
What is the best way of doing it?

Select the files you want to move and then use the Copy Photos... command on the File menu.  Set the Move photos (delete originals) checkbox if you want to move them instead of copying them.  Set your destination folder options and click the Copy button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »
thank you!

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42:13 PM »
Hi,

Maybe I don't understand the question the right way, but I do this with "edit selected Photos with">"Lightroom.app". LR will only import the selected photos.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
That is the way I do it also when using LR. If you select your photos and edit selected photos with LR. They all import into LR with no problem.

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
That is the way I do it also when using LR. If you select your photos and edit selected photos with LR. They all import into LR with no problem.

Thanks also to Platty and Billy!

I think thats the way to go.

Ricardo.

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
Hi, its me again.

I did what was told on previous message, but only a single image is being imported.

Im using the right click mouse button to select "edit selected photos with >> Lightroom" but it seems only the photo which my mouse is over is being exported.

from the PM help file:

"1. Select an image or group of images and choose Image / Edit Photos from the main menu. The external editor with be launched if it is not already active and the selected images will be opened. (this is not working - only one image is opening in LR)

2. Use the shortcut key, Ctrl-E.  (also not working - only one image is opening in LR)

3. Right click on the selected image(s) and choose ‘Edit Selected photos’. (You will also see an option ‘Edit Photo’ which just opens the one image that you right clicked on even if there are multiple images selected. It is easy to mistake these two options and wonder why only one image opened.) this is what happens with me, but no option works for me... what am I doing wrong?"

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:47:33 PM by rbuchner »

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »
Did you set Lightroom as your default editor?
Try assigning LR for a custom file type in prefs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
I did what was told on previous message, but only a single image is being imported.

Im using the right click mouse button to select "edit selected photos with >> Lightroom" but it seems only the photo which my mouse is over is being exported.

from the PM help file:

"1. Select an image or group of images and choose Image / Edit Photos from the main menu. The external editor with be launched if it is not already active and the selected images will be opened. (this is not working - only one image is opening in LR)

2. Use the shortcut key, Ctrl-E.  (also not working - only one image is opening in LR)

3. Right click on the selected image(s) and choose ‘Edit Selected photos’. (You will also see an option ‘Edit Photo’ which just opens the one image that you right clicked on even if there are multiple images selected. It is easy to mistake these two options and wonder why only one image opened.) this is what happens with me, but no option works for me... what am I doing wrong?"

How many images were selected?
Did you right click on one of the selected images? (that is if there were more than one image selected.)

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
thanks for the replies!

Soren:

Yes, LR is assigned in preferences. It opens up, but a single file is imported to LR.

Kirk:

As a test, Im selecting 3 files, then I right-click and try all the options listed (none of them works). If my mouse pointer is over one of the three selected images, thats the one that will be opened in LR.

I also tried using the regular menu in PM, same problem.

I must be doing something wrong, but couldnt figure out what it is...

Ideas?

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
Hi,

its me again.

I didnt find the solution for my problem yet...

Did anyone else experience the same problem and found a solution?

Thanks!

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »
Ricardo,

I didnt find the solution for my problem yet...

Did anyone else experience the same problem and found a solution?

What happens if you just drag the selected images onto the LR application?

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »
Good tip, Kirk!

It worked!

Thanks a LOT!

Ricardo