Author Topic: Keep old settings when upgrading to 4.6  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Keep old settings when upgrading to 4.6
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »
This is my first version upgrade of Photo Mechanic.  What is the recommended upgrade method to preserve custom settings?  Should I uninstall the previous version first or install the new version with the old in place?  What settings files, particularly the controlled vocabulary, should I be sure NOT to remove?  Any "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keep old settings when upgrading to 4.6
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »
This is my first version upgrade of Photo Mechanic.  What is the recommended upgrade method to preserve custom settings?  Should I uninstall the previous version first or install the new version with the old in place?  What settings files, particularly the controlled vocabulary, should I be sure NOT to remove?  Any "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

Photo Mechanic 4.6 should pickup all your existing settings.  If it doesn't do so then I consider that a bug.

As for backing up your current settings, I'd need to know what OS you're running.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I should have said I'm using XP.  Once I install 4.6, if I uninstall 4.5 will the settings files stay?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I should have said I'm using XP.  Once I install 4.6, if I uninstall 4.5 will the settings files stay?

Yes, but there is no need to uninstall PM 4.5 unless you need the space.

-Kirk