Author Topic: Problem with ExposureManager upload support  (Read 3052 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Problem with ExposureManager upload support
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
I just had my first chance to try the ExposureManager upload support.  I really like the workflow, but I am having a problem.  The uploader successfully logs into my account.  In the "Destination Exposure Manager Account" section there is a Gallery pulldown that correctly shows the list of my existing galleries.  I select the target gallery and press the send button.  The problem is that all the pictures end up in my Main gallery instead of the selected gallery.  Please tell me what I can do to help get this problem debugged.  This feature will make uploading my sports shoots so much easier that I think it will more than cover the cost of renewing my PM license.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with ExposureManager upload support
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
Danny,

I just had my first chance to try the ExposureManager upload support.  I really like the workflow, but I am having a problem.  The uploader successfully logs into my account.  In the "Destination Exposure Manager Account" section there is a Gallery pulldown that correctly shows the list of my existing galleries.  I select the target gallery and press the send button.  The problem is that all the pictures end up in my Main gallery instead of the selected gallery.  Please tell me what I can do to help get this problem debugged.  This feature will make uploading my sports shoots so much easier that I think it will more than cover the cost of renewing my PM license.

We know about that problem and are working on a fix for the 4.6.1 update.  When we have something ready that we think fully addresses the issue, I'll contact you with a link to the beta.

What OS are you using?

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:49:31 AM »
Kirk,
I am on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I have one other minor issue to point out.  It appears that even though I upload the images in a single batch with PM, they are being treated as separate jobs.  ExposureManager sends an e-mail notification when it is done processing an upload job.  Rather than getting a single upload "Image Processing complete for job xxx" notification e-mail, I get one for almost every file.

Here's a sample:
Dear Danny,

This message is to inform you that your image processing job is complete.

We processed a total of 1 images with 0 errors.

Your images were placed in Main Gallery.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The ExposureManager Team

Out of an upload containing about 100 images, I got 77 notifications.  So most of them were for only one file, but there was a small number that said 2 images got processed.

It's possible that this is a side effect of the way their REST API works.  It looks like you get a session ID back from the POST that uploads a file, rather than specifying an ID as part of the upload data.  If that's the case, then there might not be a way for you to ensure all the files are processed in a single session.  Their document is a bit sketchy.  Hopefully there is a way to ensure a job doesn't start until you tell it that you are done with the uploads.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:07:39 AM »
Danny,

I am on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I have one other minor issue to point out.  It appears that even though I upload the images in a single batch with PM, they are being treated as separate jobs.  ExposureManager sends an e-mail notification when it is done processing an upload job.  Rather than getting a single upload "Image Processing complete for job xxx" notification e-mail, I get one for almost every file.

Here's a sample:
Dear Danny,

This message is to inform you that your image processing job is complete.

We processed a total of 1 images with 0 errors.

Your images were placed in Main Gallery.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The ExposureManager Team

Out of an upload containing about 100 images, I got 77 notifications.  So most of them were for only one file, but there was a small number that said 2 images got processed.

It's possible that this is a side effect of the way their REST API works.  It looks like you get a session ID back from the POST that uploads a file, rather than specifying an ID as part of the upload data.  If that's the case, then there might not be a way for you to ensure all the files are processed in a single session.  Their document is a bit sketchy.  Hopefully there is a way to ensure a job doesn't start until you tell it that you are done with the uploads.

We tell it to process after each upload because our upload architecture does not have a defined beginning and ending.  Uploads can be 'endless' since you can keep on adding items to the queue.  So we tell it to process after each upload.  No other service requires us to tell them when to process files.  All of the other services just process each file as it comes through.  I can see how getting a notification that many times via email would be irritating.  We'll see what we can do about it.

-Kirk