Author Topic: Recursive IPTC updating  (Read 4681 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Recursive IPTC updating
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:11:20 AM »
Hello!

Another one of the "not sure if this is a feature I am not using or a future enhancement" kind of thing....

When I am processing photos from running races, I end up with a directory/folder named for the race (e.g. "Main Street 5K") and then a sub folder for each runner under the main folder named for each runner number (1,2,3,4,5,6, etc.).  In those folders are just the pictures for that runner.  This is needed due to how my web ordering system works.

Due to timing issues, I can't get runner names to add to the IPTC data until later in the day, but I can sort the images into their respective categories immediately after the race. I can post images immediately by runner number, but would like to have name in the pictures as soon as possible to enable searching later in the day.

What I would like to do is be able to have PM go through all the sub directories of the main folder and use Text Replacement to help me update the individual images in their respective folders with the names once the promoter supplies them to me.  The Text Replacement part I understand.

The issue is how to get the sub directories updated.  Now, I know I can open a contact sheet and add images from other contact sheets through the "Navigator", however, I have some races with over 1,000 runners (i.e. folders/directories).  Manually adding 1,000 folders to contact sheet is not really an option.

So,

Would it be possible to either:

1) Have a capability to multi-select in the Navigator pane so I can select a range of folders to add to the master contact sheet?

or

2) Allow PM to have the ability to recursively traverse a folder structure when applying IPTC data?

or

3) Go about this another way given an existing PM capability I am overlooking.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Recursive IPTC updating
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:06:16 AM »
Mike,

Another one of the "not sure if this is a feature I am not using or a future enhancement" kind of thing....

When I am processing photos from running races, I end up with a directory/folder named for the race (e.g. "Main Street 5K") and then a sub folder for each runner under the main folder named for each runner number (1,2,3,4,5,6, etc.).  In those folders are just the pictures for that runner.  This is needed due to how my web ordering system works.

Due to timing issues, I can't get runner names to add to the IPTC data until later in the day, but I can sort the images into their respective categories immediately after the race. I can post images immediately by runner number, but would like to have name in the pictures as soon as possible to enable searching later in the day.

What I would like to do is be able to have PM go through all the sub directories of the main folder and use Text Replacement to help me update the individual images in their respective folders with the names once the promoter supplies them to me.  The Text Replacement part I understand.

The issue is how to get the sub directories updated.  Now, I know I can open a contact sheet and add images from other contact sheets through the "Navigator", however, I have some races with over 1,000 runners (i.e. folders/directories).  Manually adding 1,000 folders to contact sheet is not really an option.

So,

Would it be possible to either:

1) Have a capability to multi-select in the Navigator pane so I can select a range of folders to add to the master contact sheet?

or

2) Allow PM to have the ability to recursively traverse a folder structure when applying IPTC data?

or

3) Go about this another way given an existing PM capability I am overlooking.

I think only #1 would be an effective solution which would have to be added in a future version.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: Recursive IPTC updating
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »
Thanks Kirk...

-Mike