Author Topic: Can we map variables to color tags on the contact sheet? i.e. RAW=red, JPEG=blue  (Read 4036 times)

Offline rjp

• View Profile

Is there a way to map variables to color code tags?

For example, if the mode is RAW have the image tagged red, and if JPEG tagged blue.

My particular interest is in clearly distinguishing RAW from JPEG images on a mixed contact sheet, but I'm sure there could be many other applications for this mapping as well.

Thanks,

Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rich,

For example, if the mode is RAW have the image tagged red, and if JPEG tagged blue.

My particular interest is in clearly distinguishing RAW from JPEG images on a mixed contact sheet, but I'm sure there could be many other applications for this mapping as well.

Do you mean that the images would dynamically tagged with a color class when viewed?

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
Rich,

Do you mean that the images would dynamically tagged with a color class when viewed?

-Kirk

I think that's what I'm asking, though I'm not sure of the correct wording.

What I want is to be able to use the color tags (I believe there are about 8 of them?) that are typically used to rate photos. I would like to be able to map these to variables (or ideally to functions of variables) so that variables taking on certain predefined values would cause the corresponding image to get tagged with a certain color on the contact sheet.

For example:  if (ISO >= 3200) set_color_tag("red");

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rich,

-Kirk

What I want is to be able to use the color tags (I believe there are about 8 of them?) that are typically used to rate photos. I would like to be able to map these to variables (or ideally to functions of variables) so that variables taking on certain predefined values would cause the corresponding image to get tagged with a certain color on the contact sheet.

I understand now.  We do not have any feature like that in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
Rich,

-Kirk

I understand now.  We do not have any feature like that in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Understood.

What would you recommend then for a nice way to distinguish JPEGs from RAW on a contact sheet?

I presently have the mode variable "RAW" printed under the photo. But this gets lost in the rest of the text.

Any chance you may add variable based color tagging in the future?

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
What would you recommend then for a nice way to distinguish JPEGs from RAW on a contact sheet?

Maybe you should create a custom sort based on {type} what would cause the files to sort by filetype. Then you select the first image of one type press shift find the last on the contact sheet and select it - selecting all files in between and you simply add color class to all images of the given filetype.

Regarding other values you can also sort by different properties. For example sort by ISO then you can select the images with higher or lower values. Of course in this case helps to display the given value under the image.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline rjp

• View Profile

Maybe you should create a custom sort based on {type} what would cause the files to sort by filetype. Then you select the first image of one type press shift find the last on the contact sheet and select it - selecting all files in between and you simply add color class to all images of the given filetype.

Regarding other values you can also sort by different properties. For example sort by ISO then you can select the images with higher or lower values. Of course in this case helps to display the given value under the image.

Yes, that would do it manually. The steps you described are exactly what I was wondering if PM could perform automatically.

I'd like to be able to ingest a mixed batch of image files and see the RAWs tagged with a certain color so they stand out on the screen.

Color is a nice way for humans to sort through data without having to read the details.