Author Topic: Frame number metadata  (Read 2248 times)

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
Frame number metadata
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:45:09 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Having frame number data to use when renaming files during ingest is an indispensable part of my workflow, so thanks for making it available. My question is, other than the maker-specific filename, where does that metadata exist in the file? Is it EXIF data? I can't find any mention of it in the EXIF subset or any other metadata sets for that matter. Does it have a metadata tag# associated with it?

Thanks so much!

-Dan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Frame number metadata
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
Dan,

Having frame number data to use when renaming files during ingest is an indispensable part of my workflow, so thanks for making it available. My question is, other than the maker-specific filename, where does that metadata exist in the file? Is it EXIF data? I can't find any mention of it in the EXIF subset or any other metadata sets for that matter. Does it have a metadata tag# associated with it?

It is in the manufacturer-specific 'MakerNote' data.  Nikon's is fairly stable and doesn't change often from model to model.  Canon's changes just about every time a new model is released.

-Kirk

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
Re: Frame number metadata
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
Thank you so much. Canon sure needs a sharp rap on the knuckles every so often, don't they?

-Dan