Author Topic: Update to 4.6  (Read 2948 times)

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Update to 4.6
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »
Hi, I installed ver 4.6 in a new location without first uninstalling ver 4.5 so now I have both versions installed.
Is it safe to just uninstall the old ver 4.5 or if not what is the best way to remove it? Thanks Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Update to 4.6
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:16:18 PM »
Dave,

Hi, I installed ver 4.6 in a new location without first uninstalling ver 4.5 so now I have both versions installed.
Is it safe to just uninstall the old ver 4.5 or if not what is the best way to remove it?

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
Windows XP up to date

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »
Windows XP up to date

The two installs can coexist safely together.  If you want to uninstall 4.5 you'll have to reinstall 4.6 afterward because the uninstaller will remove some components that 4.6 requires.

-Kirk

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »
Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

If I uninstall both versions I expect I will lose all my settings, is there any way to preserve my settings to be utilised in my final re-install of ver 4.6?

Also, please advise if it is recommended to uninstall an older version before installing an update?... or can an update be installed directly on top of a previous installation?

Thanks ... fantastic program and fantastic support.

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

If I uninstall both versions I expect I will lose all my settings, is there any way to preserve my settings to be utilised in my final re-install of ver 4.6?

You won't lose your settings.  They are not deleted when uninstalling.

Quote from: dave.thomas
Also, please advise if it is recommended to uninstall an older version before installing an update?... or can an update be installed directly on top of a previous installation?

Each major version of PM on Windows installs in its own directory by default.  They can coexist quite well.  I do not recommend uninstalling version 4.5.x when installing 4.6.  Just keep them both unless you really need the disk space.

-Kirk