Author Topic: Map location incorrect  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Map location incorrect
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
In version 4.6, I have assigned GPS coordinates to NEF and JPG images using Image>Set GPS coordinates.  In V 4.6, when I right click the image and select Show map, the map is Palo Alto, California, USA.  The coordinates are for central Ohio, USA.  However, if I select one of these images (coordinates already set) then use Image>Set GPS coordinates, the correct map location displays.  One other twist.  Using version 4.5 I can right click on an image and select Show map and get the correct map display.  How do I get the correct map display using right click>Show map?

OS is Windows XP.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Map location incorrect
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
In version 4.6, I have assigned GPS coordinates to NEF and JPG images using Image>Set GPS coordinates.  In V 4.6, when I right click the image and select Show map, the map is Palo Alto, California, USA.  The coordinates are for central Ohio, USA.  However, if I select one of these images (coordinates already set) then use Image>Set GPS coordinates, the correct map location displays.  One other twist.  Using version 4.5 I can right click on an image and select Show map and get the correct map display.  How do I get the correct map display using right click>Show map?

OS is Windows XP.

Try selecting the photo before you right-click on it.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
I guess my first post wasn't clear.  I DO select the photo before trying to go to the map.  4.5 works fine.  4.6 takes me to California when it should be Ohio.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
I found this in another forum.  Could the problem I'm having be somehow related?

President
Camera Bits Staff

Re: GPS Coordinates differ on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
I found the problem and the fix will be in 4.6.1.  PM isn't clearing all of the bytes that make up the Exif tags for latitude and longitude "reference".  These tags hold a single character 'N' or 'S' or 'E' or 'W', but there are four bytes of storage.  Flickr's site (and maybe others) isn't liking the fact that there may be non-zero bytes (especially right) after the single reference character.  I've made it so PM will clear these bytes first.  This is the reason this behavior was random because the other 3 bytes were random data (sometimes a zero would follow the reference char and it would be fine).  Also, I think the sites assume North and East (i.e. "positive") unless otherwise "proven" to be South or West (by finding the 'S' or 'W' characters with following zeroes).

Hope that helps to explain what's happening.

In the meantime, try geotagging in PM after extracting the JPEG from the RAW file.

--dennis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »
I found this in another forum.  Could the problem I'm having be somehow related?

I found the problem and the fix will be in 4.6.1.  PM isn't clearing all of the bytes that make up the Exif tags for latitude and longitude "reference".  These tags hold a single character 'N' or 'S' or 'E' or 'W', but there are four bytes of storage.  Flickr's site (and maybe others) isn't liking the fact that there may be non-zero bytes (especially right) after the single reference character.  I've made it so PM will clear these bytes first.  This is the reason this behavior was random because the other 3 bytes were random data (sometimes a zero would follow the reference char and it would be fine).  Also, I think the sites assume North and East (i.e. "positive") unless otherwise "proven" to be South or West (by finding the 'S' or 'W' characters with following zeroes).

Did you try the 4.6.1 beta version (I sent you a link to it privately) to see if setting GPS coordinates with it worked any better?

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 05:02:57 AM »
The beta works the same way.  It's not a big problem.  I can work around it.  This problem occurs with just one set of images shot on the same day at the same place.  They were shot as NEF files and converted to JPG.  Both the NEF and JPG versions act the same.  I'm suspecting there is something wrong with these particular files: they are somehow "corrupt" in the sense the GPS data is not written correctly.  I'm not a programmer and probably wouldn't understand the way the GPS function works in PM even if you explained it.  Apparently the way it reads the coordinates is different between Image>Set GPS coordinates and right-click>Show map because the former shows the correct map location and the latter does not. 

Not a big deal.  I can live with this.  I'm not a high volume shooter but grabbed PM after a short trial.  The speed of course is far and away better than anything out there. But, it was the strong support for controlled vocabulary that sold me.  It's even better now that I can set the option of hierarchical separator.  My work around before was to use the full path with a "." between words for each level.  Now, PM does it for me.  As a Nikon user, I appreciate how well PM works with NEF files.

Like others, I'm just waiting for a full cataloging program to go with PM.  It integrates well with IDimager and Imatch, the cataloging programs I use now but I'm sure a cataloging program from Camera Bits would be even better integrated.  Keep up the good work.

Woodie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »
Woodie,

The beta works the same way.  It's not a big problem.  I can work around it.  This problem occurs with just one set of images shot on the same day at the same place.  They were shot as NEF files and converted to JPG.  Both the NEF and JPG versions act the same.  I'm suspecting there is something wrong with these particular files: they are somehow "corrupt" in the sense the GPS data is not written correctly.  I'm not a programmer and probably wouldn't understand the way the GPS function works in PM even if you explained it.  Apparently the way it reads the coordinates is different between Image>Set GPS coordinates and right-click>Show map because the former shows the correct map location and the latter does not. 

Not a big deal.  I can live with this.  I'm not a high volume shooter but grabbed PM after a short trial.  The speed of course is far and away better than anything out there. But, it was the strong support for controlled vocabulary that sold me.  It's even better now that I can set the option of hierarchical separator.  My work around before was to use the full path with a "." between words for each level.  Now, PM does it for me.  As a Nikon user, I appreciate how well PM works with NEF files.

Like others, I'm just waiting for a full cataloging program to go with PM.  It integrates well with IDimager and Imatch, the cataloging programs I use now but I'm sure a cataloging program from Camera Bits would be even better integrated.  Keep up the good work.

Can you send us some sample images that exhibit this problem?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
For anyone interested, Kirk has been most patient and we found the problem.  A lot of going back and forth for a very simple problem.  The "problem" images had an apostrophe in the name.  A simple rename and everything is working correctly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »
For anyone interested, Kirk has been most patient and we found the problem.  A lot of going back and forth for a very simple problem.  The "problem" images had an apostrophe in the name.  A simple rename and everything is working correctly.

I have now fixed the code so that it will work correctly with filenames containing single quotes or double quotes.  The next 4.6.1 beta will have this fix in it.

-Kirk