Author Topic: Offensive Email via Camera Bits Forum  (Read 14313 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
Offensive Email via Camera Bits Forum
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:58:04 PM »
I just received a very offensive email that apparently was propogated via the Camera Bits Forums ... how do I report it to the moderators.

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Offensive Email via Camera Bits Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 10:17:08 PM »
I also received a similar email today. Has the forum database been harvested?

//Chris

Offline MikeCaine

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:50:12 AM »
Same here, not very happy about it

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 09:05:03 AM »
Dear Camera Bits Forums Users,

We apologize for any spam you may have received from a forums user registered under the name "Harrison Ford".  We have deleted his account, banned him from registering new accounts, and have contacted his ISP to report the abuse.

We'd like to take a moment to address some members' concerns about whether the spammer was able to gain access to anyone's private email addresses.  We believe the spammer was not able to learn anyone's private email address.  (Your email address is private if you have checked the "Hide email address from public?" box in your account profile settings.)

What the spammer did was send messages using the forums private messaging system.  This causes the forums software to send users a notification email, but these notification emails are sent without revealing your private email address.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused by this spammer.  We are taking steps to try to make it more difficult for this sort of thing to occur in the future.

Thanks for your understanding and patience,

Camera Bits Forums Team