Author Topic: 4.6 copying file error  (Read 4516 times)

Offline jeffkowalsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6 copying file error
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
Mac OS X 10.5.6 - PM 4.6

After I go through and tag photos (command-t, command y) to move the images to a different folder I get an error, " There were errors during the copy operation". Any suggestions to solve this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6 copying file error
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »
Mac OS X 10.5.6 - PM 4.6

After I go through and tag photos (command-t, command y) to move the images to a different folder I get an error, " There were errors during the copy operation". Any suggestions to solve this?

Are you doing any renaming?

-Kirk

Offline Colin_Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
Same Mac OS and same PM version as Jeff.

Just installed 4.6 today.

Had the same problem and I was not renaming files.

On at least two occasions I was using the copy function to move files (delete originals from that folder and move them to another) and PM would act like it was moving the files but they would appear remain in the folder. I would then get the error message Jeff mentioned. 

On one occasion when the above happened I quit PM and restarted it. Upon returning to the same folder the files I wanted moved where not there and had been moved to the folder where I wanted them moved.

Another note on using command Y to copy files: The check box you use to decide if you are copying files or moving files to another folder stays checked. In previous versions I believe if you wanted to move images to another folder you had to check that box each time you moved files, otherwise the default was to just copy the files. A good feature in my opinion. Today I noticed when I tried to copy or move another batch of files that the move file box would remain checked unless I unchecked it. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:50:54 PM »
Colin,

Same Mac OS and same PM version as Jeff.

Just installed 4.6 today.

Had the same problem and I was not renaming files.

On at least two occasions I was using the copy function to move files (delete originals from that folder and move them to another) and PM would act like it was moving the files but they would appear remain in the folder. I would then get the error message Jeff mentioned. 

On one occasion when the above happened I quit PM and restarted it. Upon returning to the same folder the files I wanted moved where not there and had been moved to the folder where I wanted them moved.

Please try the 4.6.1 beta and let me know if it solves your problem.  Please write back with your results.

Quote from: Colin_Hackley
Another note on using command Y to copy files: The check box you use to decide if you are copying files or moving files to another folder stays checked. In previous versions I believe if you wanted to move images to another folder you had to check that box each time you moved files, otherwise the default was to just copy the files. A good feature in my opinion. Today I noticed when I tried to copy or move another batch of files that the move file box would remain checked unless I unchecked it.

We made the change because a number of people complained that they had to keep on setting the checkbox over and over again.

-Kirk

Offline Colin_Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »
I'm running PhotoMechanic4.6.1b0420 on the same mac system mentioned earlier on this thread.

I don't get an error message this time, but when I do command Y with delete originals selcted, the originals are moved to the new folder but appear to remain in the folder I am working from. Have done this three times now with the last time keeping the thumbnail but giving me a "unable to render image" when I try to look at it in preview mode.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
Colin,

I'm running PhotoMechanic4.6.1b0420 on the same mac system mentioned earlier on this thread.

I don't get an error message this time, but when I do command Y with delete originals selcted, the originals are moved to the new folder but appear to remain in the folder I am working from. Have done this three times now with the last time keeping the thumbnail but giving me a "unable to render image" when I try to look at it in preview mode.

If you check with the Finder, are the images still existing in the folder?

-Kirk

Offline Colin_Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
No, using finder they are not in the folder after using command Y, but PM still displays the thumbnail as if the image is there.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:40:51 AM »
Hi Colin,

We were unable to recreate this issue. Someone from Support will be contacting you privately.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline Colin_Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:24:20 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I heard from Bob today and he and I will talk tomorrow when our skeds allow.

Just another great example of customer support from Camera Bits!