Author Topic: Frame numbers with Canon cameras after the fact  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Richard George

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Frame numbers with Canon cameras after the fact
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »
I have a Mac Pro w/ Xeon dual processors and 8 GB of RAM, OS X Leopard (10.5.6) and Photo Mechanic 4.6.

I have files already on my out-board RAID hard drive.  They have been created with various Canon G-series cameras (G3, G6, etc.) and EOS D-SLR's (30D, 40D, etc.).  I often use two cameras on the same day, and would like the day's date to be the primary part of the file name.

I am new to Photo Mechanic.  For Ingest, I have the following re-naming approach

{Year4}-{Month0}-{Day0}-{Model}-{Filename}

This seems to work fine.  However, for files already on my hard drive, some of which already have both date and camera's file name in their current name, I am having problems re-naming them.  I tried using {Frame} in lieu of {Filename} but this did not work.  Once the file names have been changed once, are the frame numbers on RAW files created by the Canon cameras lost?

If they are lost, are there variables that can create sequences that re-start when the date changes?

Thanks in advance.

Richard George

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Frame numbers with Canon cameras after the fact
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »
Richard,

I have a Mac Pro w/ Xeon dual processors and 8 GB of RAM, OS X Leopard (10.5.6) and Photo Mechanic 4.6.

I have files already on my out-board RAID hard drive.  They have been created with various Canon G-series cameras (G3, G6, etc.) and EOS D-SLR's (30D, 40D, etc.).  I often use two cameras on the same day, and would like the day's date to be the primary part of the file name.

I am new to Photo Mechanic.  For Ingest, I have the following re-naming approach

{Year4}-{Month0}-{Day0}-{Model}-{Filename}

This seems to work fine.  However, for files already on my hard drive, some of which already have both date and camera's file name in their current name, I am having problems re-naming them.  I tried using {Frame} in lieu of {Filename} but this did not work.  Once the file names have been changed once, are the frame numbers on RAW files created by the Canon cameras lost?

It depends on the model of the camera.  Canon likes to change the way they store their shutter count information often (it seems like each new model causes them to make the change) so it's hard to keep up.  Do your images have any of the original filename left in them?

Can you give me an example of some of the filenames that you're having problems with and how you would like for your filenames to look after they're renamed?

Quote from: Richard George
If they are lost, are there variables that can create sequences that re-start when the date changes?

No, there is no date-resetting sequence variable at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Richard George

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Here is an example of a file name that I would like to change:

2008-06-11-Canon 40D-2008-06-11 IMG_0171.CR2

I did a large batch re-name, and there were a bunch of files where the names had already been changed, which caused the problem.

What I wanted was:

2008-06-11-Canon 40D-IMG_0171.CR2, or
2008-06-11-Canon 40D-0171.CR2,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »
Richard,

Sorry for the delay.  Here is an example of a file name that I would like to change:

2008-06-11-Canon 40D-2008-06-11 IMG_0171.CR2

I did a large batch re-name, and there were a bunch of files where the names had already been changed, which caused the problem.

What I wanted was:

2008-06-11-Canon 40D-IMG_0171.CR2, or
2008-06-11-Canon 40D-0171.CR2,

Which one do you really want, the first or the second?

-Kirk

Offline Richard George

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:39:11 AM »
The second one.

I was out of town - sorry about the delay.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:09:10 AM »
Richard,

The second one.

I was out of town - sorry about the delay.

This should do what you want:

{filenamebase:1,21}{filenamebase:-8}

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mayhopkins19

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
Hi to all,

I have an idea here. But not totally sure,  ;D

If this is not the info that you we're found, sorry. :'( 

Canon have a wide range of "Powershot" digital cameras. In Canonspeak, "Powershot" refers to everything except their digital SLRs. In fact there are so many of them that it's difficult to keep track and difficult for a newcomer to place the A80 in the pack!! Broadly they fall into 5 main groups:

* The "G" series are the high end models, with a faster lens, a hotshoe for flash, full manual control and RAW format capability
    * The "Sxx" series (e.g. S45, S50) have slower lenses, no hotshoe but still retain a lot of manual control options and a RAW image format
    * The "A" series. The A80 is pretty similar to the "S" series in terms of features, but the A70/A60 are less advanced. They all use AA cells rather than a Li-ion battery and none have a RAW file mode.
    * The "Sxxx" series (e.g. S400) are small. While there is some manual control, it's limited.
    * The "SD" series are very small. In fact they use SD memory cards since CF cards (used in all other models) would be too large to fit in them! They have quite limited manual control.

This review is of the new Powershot A80 model. The A70 was widely regarded as one of the best "point and shoot" models on the market, and the A80 is a significant upgrade of the A70 with many  new features, such as a larger area sensor, 4MP rather than 3MP, a swing out, tilt and swivel LCD screen and custom shooting modes. In fact the specifications of the new A80 probably put it closer to the 4MP S45 than the A70.

For more information on this topic ... click this

Board Camera