Author Topic: Vanishing GPS Data  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
Vanishing GPS Data
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi Kirk

I used an iPhone to shoot some pix, imported them using iPhoto and then browsed with PM. All the jpegs had GPS info as they should and Show Map worked fine.

That was yesterday.

Today, none of the same images shows up in PM as having GPS data even though they still perform as expected in iPhoto Places. Yesterday I even added some GPS data to some files manually in PM (Set GPS Coords) and that data no longer shows up. Both RAW and Jpegs seems affected.

I'm stumped, any thoughts?

Nick
Nick Rains

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Vanishing GPS Data
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
Nick,

I used an iPhone to shoot some pix, imported them using iPhoto and then browsed with PM. All the jpegs had GPS info as they should and Show Map worked fine.

That was yesterday.

Today, none of the same images shows up in PM as having GPS data even though they still perform as expected in iPhoto Places. Yesterday I even added some GPS data to some files manually in PM (Set GPS Coords) and that data no longer shows up. Both RAW and Jpegs seems affected.

I'm stumped, any thoughts?

How about sending me some samples?

-Kirk

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:55:30 PM »
Here's an image from the iPhone - PM does not see the gps data of the image if I copy it out of the iPhoto data folder but it does if I export it to somewhere else.

Yesterday these same iPhone images definitely showed directly in PM as having GPS data, without exporting them in any way - I even edited some to adjust for a slight inaccuracy in the location. All those edits are gone as though they never happened.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Nick Rains

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »
Nick,

Here's an image from the iPhone - PM does not see the gps data of the image if I copy it out of the iPhoto data folder but it does if I export it to somewhere else.

Yesterday these same iPhone images definitely showed directly in PM as having GPS data, without exporting them in any way - I even edited some to adjust for a slight inaccuracy in the location. All those edits are gone as though they never happened.

The image you uploaded contains no GPS data.  I would not be surprised at all that iPhoto doesn't update the file with the GPS data until you export it.  It likely keeps the GPS data in its own internal database and applies it during export.

-Kirk