Author Topic: Photoshop CS4 + RAW: Error writing metadata to .cr2  (Read 6637 times)

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photoshop CS4 + RAW: Error writing metadata to .cr2
« on: March 14, 2009, 06:39:08 AM »
Hello support and fellow users,

A quick note first: Photo Mechanic has raised the speed and efficiency of my workflow dramatically. Keep up the good work.

I have a severe problem with RAW-files and IPTC Data in XMP sidecar files. In order to keep the color tags and other metadata, I have set PM to always add XMP. I then open the files in Bridge CS4 where I need to further adjust captions etc. and postprocess the files.

When I try to change the caption, I get the follwong error message: "There was an error writing metadata to "[filename].cr2".
After this message which I have to confirm for every single file I had selected, the XMP seems to be reset because all post-processing alterations in ACR are gone.

I have the following settings for IPTC (using V 4.61):

(see att)

Thanks
Marco

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photoshop CS4 + RAW: Error writing metadata to .cr2
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:22 AM »
Marco,

I have a severe problem with RAW-files and IPTC Data in XMP sidecar files. In order to keep the color tags and other metadata, I have set PM to always add XMP. I then open the files in Bridge CS4 where I need to further adjust captions etc. and postprocess the files.

When I try to change the caption, I get the follwong error message: "There was an error writing metadata to "[filename].cr2".
After this message which I have to confirm for every single file I had selected, the XMP seems to be reset because all post-processing alterations in ACR are gone.

I have the following settings for IPTC (using V 4.61):

Never embed IPTC4XMP on RAW files if you're using Adobe's products.  Each of Adobe's imaging products (Photoshop, Bridge, and Photoshop Lightroom) have a bug where they prefer embedded XMP over sidecar XMP though they refuse to update IPTC4XMP inside RAW files.  This causes their software to get out of sync with their own settings.  The solution is to uncheck the "Embed IPTC4XMP" checkbox.  Embedding IPTC is OK, but is unnecessary.  Also, you should change the read order of the data to: (1) Sidecar XMP (2) Embedded IPTC (3) Embedded XMP

To repair any files which you are having problems with you can use the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on them, backing up your metadata into XMP sidecar files.

This should solve your problems.

-Kirk

BTW, what software was giving you the error?  Photo Mechanic or something else?

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »
Hi Kirk-

Thank you for your quick reply.

I will try the new settings immediately. The error was given by Bridge CS4.

Best
Marco

Offline Petter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:50:01 AM »
With CS4 (Brigde and Photoshop) is seams that all metadata (except raw adjustments) are written to the original raw files (.cr2, .crw). In this process I've had the same problem mentioned above (Error writing metadata to .cr2). I'd like to have all metadata (keywords, IPTC info etc) written to sidecars (.xmp files or central database). I can't find out how to do this in Adobe CS4 Standard Ed. Do you know if this is possibel?

Kind regards, Petter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
Petter,

With CS4 (Brigde and Photoshop) is seams that all metadata (except raw adjustments) are written to the original raw files (.cr2, .crw). In this process I've had the same problem mentioned above (Error writing metadata to .cr2). I'd like to have all metadata (keywords, IPTC info etc) written to sidecars (.xmp files or central database). I can't find out how to do this in Adobe CS4 Standard Ed. Do you know if this is possibel?

Adobe products do not modify RAW files.  Ever.  They only write to XMP sidecar files.  Even if the error message mentions the image filename, the error is really going to be in writing the same filename but with an XMP extension instead.

-Kirk

Offline Petter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:59 PM »
Thank you for your quick answer, Kirk. I was afraid bugs in CS4 could damage some of my original raw files.
To get different programs to share metadata is not easy...
- Petter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »
Petter,

Thank you for your quick answer, Kirk. I was afraid bugs in CS4 could damage some of my original raw files.
To get different programs to share metadata is not easy...

Very true.  That's why we made Photo Mechanic's handling of metadata as flexible as possible.

-Kirk