Author Topic: PM with Capture NX2. Tag and color class problem.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
PM with Capture NX2. Tag and color class problem.
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
Hi,

I have a problem with tagging and setting color class in PM when both PM 4.6.1 beta and Capture NX2 2.1.1 are working on the same folder. The coding in PM is then erratic and slow, sometimes working, sometimes getting stuck at the same setting.  Everything works fine again if PM and CNX2 are set to work on different folders.

The problem appears with both NEFs and JPEGs (Nikon D90).

However, setting the color class in CNX2 always works fine and the change is always reflected correctly in PM.

In the PM Preferences I have checked 'Add embedded IPTC' and 'Add embedded IPTC4XMP'. I have also checked 'Synchronize Color Class with IPTC Urgency field'.  'Color Classes' are set the same in both applications.

I use Windows XP Pro SP3.

Regards,

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM with Capture NX2. Tag and color class problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
I have a problem with tagging and setting color class in PM when both PM 4.6.1 beta and Capture NX2 2.1.1 are working on the same folder. The coding in PM is then erratic and slow, sometimes working, sometimes getting stuck at the same setting.  Everything works fine again if PM and CNX2 are set to work on different folders.

The problem appears with both NEFs and JPEGs (Nikon D90).

However, setting the color class in CNX2 always works fine and the change is always reflected correctly in PM.

In the PM Preferences I have checked 'Add embedded IPTC' and 'Add embedded IPTC4XMP'. I have also checked 'Synchronize Color Class with IPTC Urgency field'.  'Color Classes' are set the same in both applications.

I use Windows XP Pro SP3.

We understand that Capture NX2 watches for changes to each file it is working with and PM cannot stop it from doing so while PM updates the files.  It would be best if you had Capture NX2 work on either a different folder or close it.

There isn't much we can do about what another application does while PM updates a file.

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks Kirk, that's good to know.

Regards,

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:44:40 AM »
Karl

Thanks Kirk, that's good to know.

Please check to see if you're using the latest Capture NX2 version.  We informed the Capture NX2 team about the issue of them reacting too soon and trying to get an exclusive file reading handle which make PM unable to finish making its changes.

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
Kirk,

I am using CNX2 2.1.1, which I think is the latest version. Maybe they will have it fixed in their next version.

Thanks again for explaining the cause of the behavior. It is easy enough to work around the problem.

Regards,

Karl