Author Topic: 4.6 Final: Tagging not working  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
4.6 Final: Tagging not working
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
Hey Kirk,
    Sorry to bug you so quickly after the release but I'm having a weird problem with 4.6. I've restarted both PM and my computer to no avail.
    I've got a folder of 103 images I shot yesterday. PM won't let me "tag" any photo past the 37th when sorted by Capture Time (by pressing "T", Apple+ or using the menu). It will let me Color Class, Rate and edit IPTC without problems. Everything but tag. I tried viewing only Tagged in case they were being tagged but the check mark wasn't showing up but no luck.
--[Pause in writing while I play around some more.]--
    Now this is weird. I opened the folder back up in 4.5.4 and a whole lot of photos were tagged (I went through and tried a bunch in 4.6 but it didn't appear to be working).  I cleared the tags in 4.5, re-tagged different shots and then opened the folder in 4.6. It now recognized all the new tags from 4.5 and even let me tag the ones it wouldn't before.
    So something was wrong in 4.6 that was fixed by opening the folder again in 4.5.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6 Final: Tagging not working
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »
Kevin,

Hey Kirk,
    Sorry to bug you so quickly after the release but I'm having a weird problem with 4.6. I've restarted both PM and my computer to no avail.
    I've got a folder of 103 images I shot yesterday. PM won't let me "tag" any photo past the 37th when sorted by Capture Time (by pressing "T", Apple+ or using the menu). It will let me Color Class, Rate and edit IPTC without problems. Everything but tag. I tried viewing only Tagged in case they were being tagged but the check mark wasn't showing up but no luck.
--[Pause in writing while I play around some more.]--
    Now this is weird. I opened the folder back up in 4.5.4 and a whole lot of photos were tagged (I went through and tried a bunch in 4.6 but it didn't appear to be working).  I cleared the tags in 4.5, re-tagged different shots and then opened the folder in 4.6. It now recognized all the new tags from 4.5 and even let me tag the ones it wouldn't before.
    So something was wrong in 4.6 that was fixed by opening the folder again in 4.5.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

No, but where were you when we were testing the beta? ;)

If you can help me reproduce the problem, that would be great.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
No, but where were you when we were testing the beta? ;)

I know I know, I even think I might have actually been helpful during the 4.5 beta.  :-[

If you can help me reproduce the problem, that would be great.

It seems to be fixed at the moment, I'll be on the lookout and let you know if it happens again. Even as I was messing with it earlier it only seemed to be a single folder from yesterday, assignments I shot today worked fine. Maybe it was just a random fluke that won't ever repeat.

Thanks again, as always I'm amazed by the quick response.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:29:05 PM »
OK it happened again, this time on my Mac Pro (last night was on the MacBook Pro).  A freshly ingested assignment lets me caption (initially using Stationary Pad) and color class but not tag.

Again I opened the same folder in 4.5 and the tags were there. So apparently 4.6 is actually making the tags but won't display them.

Now this is were it gets interesting. Once in 4.5 I went ahead and changed the color  class on the images that had been tagged by 4.6.  Once back in 4.6 I can now tag/untag any of the photos that had their color class changed in 4.5, but still none of the others.  (I missed this last night because I had changed the color class on every photo in 4.5 before going back to 4.6).

So once the color class on an image is changed in 4.5 (after initially being set in 4.6) then tagging works as normal in 4.6.

I have saved a copy of the folder giving me trouble so I can send you some photos if needed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
Kevin,

OK it happened again, this time on my Mac Pro (last night was on the MacBook Pro).  A freshly ingested assignment lets me caption (initially using Stationary Pad) and color class but not tag.

Again I opened the same folder in 4.5 and the tags were there. So apparently 4.6 is actually making the tags but won't display them.

Now this is were it gets interesting. Once in 4.5 I went ahead and changed the color  class on the images that had been tagged by 4.6.  Once back in 4.6 I can now tag/untag any of the photos that had their color class changed in 4.5, but still none of the others.  (I missed this last night because I had changed the color class on every photo in 4.5 before going back to 4.6).

So once the color class on an image is changed in 4.5 (after initially being set in 4.6) then tagging works as normal in 4.6.

I have saved a copy of the folder giving me trouble so I can send you some photos if needed.

Yes, please do.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline dig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »
Hi Kirk,

sorry - but I have the same problem with 4.6 final (Vers 4.5.4. worked fine).
I am unable to tag/untag photos (neither in contactsheet mode nor preview mode; not with mouse + not with keybord typing "T").
With Vers 4.5.4 I can tag / untag photos and I will see the marking (hook) if I open that folder with Vers 4.6.  If I untag a photo (with Vers 4.6) I wont see a change if I tag it again.

That´s verry annoying for looking through new photos.
Rating + ColourClass works fine.

Win XP SP2 (on Laptop, 2 GB RAM) and Win Vista (on PC, 4 GB RAM)

dig

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
Dig, this should be sorted out in the next release I believe.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:01:22 PM »
Kirk, 4.6.1 beta seems to have fixed this issue and the others discussed in private message.

Offline dig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »
Same here - with the newest 4.6.1 beta all probs concerning tagging are probably solved. The software works as expected (great product).

dig
(laptop with XP SP3 + desktop with Vista)