Author Topic: Save As Question  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Save As Question
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to change resolution on the files.  The way how I am doing it is selecting all files and go to File->Save As and I am specifying the same directory as original files.  I am assuming it should override existing files, but instead it creates another file with 01 extension.  I went to the properties and I could not find option to override original files.  My question is how can I save files to the original folder and override original files?

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,
Vlad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save As Question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Vlad,

I am trying to change resolution on the files.  The way how I am doing it is selecting all files and go to File->Save As and I am specifying the same directory as original files.  I am assuming it should override existing files, but instead it creates another file with 01 extension.  I went to the properties and I could not find option to override original files.  My question is how can I save files to the original folder and override original files?

You can't.  Photo Mechanic won't overwrite existing files during Save As.  Are you really wanting to lose picture information permanently?  What if you wanted a larger image for print purposes?  Or are you just wanting to set the DPI of the photos and not change the number of pixels?

-Kirk

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for reply.

Actually I am keeping original files in separate folder and never override, but sometimes I made mistake with saving files to different location and I just need to do some small change (change resolution, scaling) so instead of create files from original files, I thought just take existing files and just do it on top of them.  Also sometimes I need two types of files with different resolutions (for different TV (3:2; 16:9)), so I start with one resolution create video DVD and then instead of creating second set I would like to do it on top of existing files, create different resolution and create another video DVD with different resolution.  Now I need to create one set of files, create 1 type of DVD, then I create on top of existing another one with 01 extention, delete first set, and then rename files with 01 extention to original name, so it is 3 steps process.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Vlad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
Vlad,

Actually I am keeping original files in separate folder and never override, but sometimes I made mistake with saving files to different location and I just need to do some small change (change resolution, scaling) so instead of create files from original files, I thought just take existing files and just do it on top of them.  Also sometimes I need two types of files with different resolutions (for different TV (3:2; 16:9)), so I start with one resolution create video DVD and then instead of creating second set I would like to do it on top of existing files, create different resolution and create another video DVD with different resolution.  Now I need to create one set of files, create 1 type of DVD, then I create on top of existing another one with 01 extention, delete first set, and then rename files with 01 extention to original name, so it is 3 steps process.

I see. Well then just create a new folder with each save.  If you make a mistake, then delete the folder and do the Save As again.

-Kirk

Offline Vlad Bez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:20:03 AM »
Thanks for answers.

Best wishes.

Sincerely,
Vlad.