Author Topic: Long time to show previews  (Read 5189 times)

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
Long time to show previews
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »
Hi,

I don´t know if this an actual problem but I feel like it takes some time to show the previews in contact sheet. Even with not so many images (30 jpg) it takes some to show them. Larger collections (200) takes even longer. When they appear it works on a nice speed.

Is there a preference to speed this up or am I being impatient?

I have a MacBook Pr 2.5 ghz, 4 GIG mem and a 500 GB internal hard drive, the images are being shown from the hard drive.

Cheers.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Long time to show previews
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »
Hilmar,

I don´t know if this an actual problem but I feel like it takes some time to show the previews in contact sheet. Even with not so many images (30 jpg) it takes some to show them. Larger collections (200) takes even longer. When they appear it works on a nice speed.

Is there a preference to speed this up or am I being impatient?

I have a MacBook Pr 2.5 ghz, 4 GIG mem and a 500 GB internal hard drive, the images are being shown from the hard drive.

Is this a delay in the Preview window appearing altogether, or a delay in the first image showing up, or a delay in subsequent images showing up?  Or some other delay?

What size are the images?
What are your Caching settings? (They're in the Caching tab of the Preferences dialog.)
And lastly is this a change in behavior from version 4.5.4?

-Kirk

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
Hi,

It is a delay in the first image showing up. The contact sheet remains black and it says it is "Sorting" images. This takes some time.

I feel it takes longer with 4.6 than the older version. Images appeared sooner in the early versions.

I attached the Caching prefs.

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
It is a delay in the first image showing up. The contact sheet remains black and it says it is "Sorting" images. This takes some time.

I feel it takes longer with 4.6 than the older version. Images appeared sooner in the early versions.

Your Caching settings looks good.  What is your default sorting method?  Anything other than Filename is slow, Capture Time and Custom sorts are the slowest.

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »

Your Caching settings looks good.  What is your default sorting method?  Anything other than Filename is slow, Capture Time and Custom sorts are the slowest.

-Kirk

Oh, that is interesting. I also noticed the populating of the contact sheet upon ingest had become much slower, and it was after I changed to a custom sort (file type first followed by frame).

Why is your sort based on filename (alphabetic?) faster than sorts by other parameters?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »

-Kirk

Oh, that is interesting. I also noticed the populating of the contact sheet upon ingest had become much slower, and it was after I changed to a custom sort (file type first followed by frame).

Why is your sort based on filename (alphabetic?) faster than sorts by other parameters?

Because custom sorts require opening each file and parsing their metadata before the data needed for the sort is available.  The filenames are available as soon as the directory contents are scanned.

-Kirk

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »
Ok, I had "Capture time" as the default sorting method. It seems to be faster when "Filename" is used.

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
Ok, I had "Capture time" as the default sorting method. It seems to be faster when "Filename" is used.

That does it. Sorting is much faster using filename.

Nice thing is, sorting by file name is very likely also in the same order as sorting by capture time since most cameras name files is alphabetical order anyway ;-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »

Nice thing is, sorting by file name is very likely also in the same order as sorting by capture time since most cameras name files is alphabetical order anyway ;-)

That is usually the case unless you reach 9999 and it wraps around.  But that doesn't happen very often.

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

That is usually the case unless you reach 9999 and it wraps around.  But that doesn't happen very often.

-Kirk

True. And I assume that when you open a contact sheet for a previously ingested folder it sorts according to the filename given by PM in that case rather than camera's filename. Capture time could of course be part of this file name if desired.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »

True. And I assume that when you open a contact sheet for a previously ingested folder it sorts according to the filename given by PM in that case rather than camera's filename. Capture time could of course be part of this file name if desired.

Yes, absolutely.  You can rename during Ingest and use the capture time as part of the filename if you wish.

-Kirk