Author Topic: files size not accurate when resizing  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
files size not accurate when resizing
« on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I just noticed that when I resize a folder of images I get an estimate of 7K for a file. Yet the files are coming out at 15K, am I doing something wrong?  I am resizing D3 full size jpegs to 200px thumbnails.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: files size not accurate when resizing
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
Eric,

I just noticed that when I resize a folder of images I get an estimate of 7K for a file. Yet the files are coming out at 15K, am I doing something wrong?  I am resizing D3 full size jpegs to 200px thumbnails.

It is likely you have either IPTC/XMP metadata or have embedded ICC profiles in your thumbnails.  Each of those pieces of data could be another 8KB or more in size.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
How would I tell? I don;t have the apply iptc or preserve exif buttons checked. Is there another settings menu that I need to look at?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »
How would I tell? I don;t have the apply iptc or preserve exif buttons checked. Is there another settings menu that I need to look at?

Do the original files have IPTC data in them?  If so, then it will be preserved.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »
Yep the originals have the data put on during the ingest....at least those that are ingested by PM..... I haven't looked at these, they were ingested in the field from another source.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »
Eric,

Yep the originals have the data put on during the ingest....at least those that are ingested by PM..... I haven't looked at these, they were ingested in the field from another source.

If you want to send me some samples I can look at them and see what they've got inside them.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
Eric,

If you want to send me some samples I can look at them and see what they've got inside them.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

I got your samples.  2KB were Photo Mechanic preferences, about 1KB was an Adobe RGB 1998 profile.  If you want to reduce the overhead, then use one of the Export templates to produce your previews and thumbnails and you should save at least the 2KB and if you use sRGB it should save the size of the profile as well.  If you don't want the HTML that is produced, you can just delete it.

HTH,

-Kirk