Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Firewire Readers

(1/2) > >>

Eric:
Kirk,

This is most likely more of a windows issue.... but. There are times, mostly when I have several things going on at once, that is takes up to 5 minutes for PM to recognize a new card in my firewire reader. Sometimes I have to pull the reader completely wait a minute and then plug it back in, then the card. Is there a way or scaning the firewire ports more often??

the machine is runnng Windows XP, P4 3.2ghz.

Eric

Kirk Baker:
Eric,

--- Quote from: Eric on July 17, 2006, 05:36:36 AM ---This is most likely more of a windows issue.... but. There are times, mostly when I have several things going on at once, that is takes up to 5 minutes for PM to recognize a new card in my firewire reader. Sometimes I have to pull the reader completely wait a minute and then plug it back in, then the card. Is there a way or scaning the firewire ports more often??

the machine is runnng Windows XP, P4 3.2ghz.
--- End quote ---

You can always type Ctrl-G to bring up the Ingest dialog manually.  Then click on the Rescan button if your reader doesn't show up.

But basically if your reader isn't assigned a drive letter, then PM cannot find it.  Is this a case of the reader not being assigned a drive letter?

-Kirk

Eric:
Kirk,

I do use the ctrl-g, and yes this is a case where it takes forever, sometimes longer, for a drive letter to come up.

Eric

Kirk Baker:
Eric,

--- Quote from: Eric on July 17, 2006, 08:03:15 AM ---I do use the ctrl-g, and yes this is a case where it takes forever, sometimes longer, for a drive letter to come up.

--- End quote ---

Do you have any drive letters that are mapped to network drives?  If so, that can make it take a long time.  If you put a folder on the root of any volume that you never want PM to scan called "PMIngestIgnore" then PM will quickly find it and ignore the entire drive.  Try putting a PMIngestIgnore folder on each of your drives that you never want to Ingest from (you can still use them as an Ingest destination.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Junebug:
As long as we're on Firewire readers...

I just ordered three Lexar Firewire readers.

I'm under the impression that PhotoMechanic will incrementally ingest the cards to a Mac and a PC....

Am I right?

Jb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version