Author Topic: Keywords and IPTC data cannot be seen in PM ??  (Read 8335 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Keywords and IPTC data cannot be seen in PM ??
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:40 AM »
Hi:

I have been using CS3 and Bridge to do all my metadata for sometime.  Now I use PM.

To my horror, I noted tonight that none of the metadata completed for my images in CS3 can be read in PM.  This is data from RAW files.  The data from converted files to Jpeg can be read.

Perhaps I have a setting set incorrectly - surely PM can read CS3 metadata.

Can someone guide me please - thank you....Iain
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:31:39 AM by Willow »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords and IPTC data cannot be seen in PM ??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »
Hi:

I have been using CS3 and Bridge to do all my metadata for sometime.  Now I use PM.

To my horror, I noted tonight that none of the metadata completed for my images in CS3 can be read in PM.  This is data from RAW files.  The data from converted files to Jpeg can be read.

Perhaps I have a setting set incorrectly - surely PM can read CS3 metadata.

Can someone guide me please - thank you....Iain

It is likely that your keywords are in XMP sidecar files.  In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, make sure you tell PM to read XMP sidecar files first.  Here is a screen shot of what I recommend users of Adobe products use with Photo Mechanic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply and screenshot - I appreciate your time.

Yes, my metadata is in sidecar files.

I altered the parameters are suggested and closed PM.

However, I can still not read any metadata.  I checked the files in CS bridge & the data is there and is readable in CS3 Bridge.

Ideas??

Thanks again......Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
Iain,

Thanks for the reply and screenshot - I appreciate your time.

Yes, my metadata is in sidecar files.

I altered the parameters are suggested and closed PM.

However, I can still not read any metadata.  I checked the files in CS bridge & the data is there and is readable in CS3 Bridge.

Ideas??

Thanks again......Iain

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to send me a sample file and let me know what the various fields are supposed to contain.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
Hi Kirk

I just copied a RAW file and XMP file (for the image) to my desktop in preparation to send to you when I though I would open up PM to see if it could read it from another location (desktop).

PM can read the XMP data in the new location, but not in the previous location (in my trip folders).  It seems it maybe a location thing?

I then copied a complete folderf of images from my photo folder to the desktop with XMP files.  PM can read them from the desktop but NOT from the photo folder.   Weird to say the least.

Ideas??     Iain
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:45:10 PM by Willow »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
Iain,

I just copied a RAW file and XMP file (for the image) to my desktop in preparation to send to you when I though I would open up PM to see if it could read it from another location (desktop).

PM can read the XMP data in the new location, but not in the previous location (in my trip folders).  It seems it maybe a location thing?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?  What OS are you running?  Is there anything special about the permissions of the files or folders?

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »
The latest version of PM, MAC OS 10.5.6.  No permissions set to folders (that I know of).  Please see additional info in post above (our posts crossed)......Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »
The latest version of PM, MAC OS 10.5.6.  No permissions set to folders (that I know of).  Please see additional info in post above (our posts crossed)......Iain

What is different about the 'trip' folders compared to the place you copied them?

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »
Nothing that I know of. 

I'll have to do some further checking later on.

I'll keep you posted on the thread so others may learn if there is a similar problem...Iain

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »
Hi Kirk - First, thanks for your help on this.

I have done some testing moving folders about, etc.  Moving folders makes no difference.

Sometimes PM will read the metadata from RSAW files, and at other times it will not - no idea why.   PM will always read Jpeg files.  If I do the metadata in PM it will always read the data no worries.

The problem appears to be that PM will not read RAW file metadata that has been done in CS3 bridge - but this is not consistent as some folders can be read.  Moving folders from one location to another makes no difference.

I recently uploaded the latest version of PM.  I did not remove the older version, but just copied the update over the top.  Could this have caused a problem???   Should I have deleted PM before downloading the newer version with update??

Thanks......Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
Iain,

Hi Kirk - First, thanks for your help on this.

I have done some testing moving folders about, etc.  Moving folders makes no difference.

Sometimes PM will read the metadata from RSAW files, and at other times it will not - no idea why.   PM will always read Jpeg files.  If I do the metadata in PM it will always read the data no worries.

The problem appears to be that PM will not read RAW file metadata that has been done in CS3 bridge - but this is not consistent as some folders can be read.  Moving folders from one location to another makes no difference.

I recently uploaded the latest version of PM.  I did not remove the older version, but just copied the update over the top.  Could this have caused a problem???   Should I have deleted PM before downloading the newer version with update??

No, that shouldn't be a problem.  I think it is time we get some of your files that are giving you problems.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
OK Kirk, but before I do I want to try a complete reload of PM (it may save time on your side)

Question - Are the preferences in PM saved when you delete the program??   

I don't want to loose them.   Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
Iain,

OK Kirk, but before I do I want to try a complete reload of PM (it may save time on your side)

Question - Are the preferences in PM saved when you delete the program??   

I don't want to loose them.   Iain

The preferences should not be lost.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
Hello Kirk

Did a reload - same hassle.

I also checked my laptop (mac book) an there is not a hassle with any files here - they can be read easily.

Therefore, the problem seems to be something to do with the drive - I have no idea what though.

Ideas if any??    Thank you.....Iain

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:41:26 AM »
FURTHER INFORMATION

I have all my files backed up on a single terabyte drive.  I opened the files with PM and I can read the XMP data without a hassle.

I checked the files on my laptop (MAC) and once again I can read the files fine using PM.

On my main computer (MAC) I have 3 drives.  1 drive for OS and applications and 2 drives set up in parallel raid for my images.

It is this drive that I cannot read the files with using PM.

OK that's it.  Can anyone suggest a work around???     Thank you.....Iain