Author Topic: If I edit IPTC after modifying in Lightroom does it cancel out my modifications?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
Hi,

If I edit IPTC in PM after modifying in Lightroom does it cancel out my modifications in Lightroom. I mean does Lightroom see them as new files and will it say that the original files are missing.

I have 158 pics choosen and I have to make them pretty big so editing the in PM will be better before I export them in Lightroom. But I want to know if it will change the files so that Lightroom will have problems.

Cheers...

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hilmar,

If I edit IPTC in PM after modifying in Lightroom does it cancel out my modifications in Lightroom. I mean does Lightroom see them as new files and will it say that the original files are missing.

I have 158 pics choosen and I have to make them pretty big so editing the in PM will be better before I export them in Lightroom. But I want to know if it will change the files so that Lightroom will have problems.

Hopefully someone on the forums can answer your question besides me.  I don't use Lightroom at all.  My suggestion would be to experiment with a set of files and see what happens.  If you're worried something may get lost then use backup images.

-Kirk

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
To answer this myself. I copied pics that I had edited in a diffrent folder and changed the IPTC. When I imported it back to LR it show the un-edited version. So you cannot change IPTC and go back to LR. You have to export them and edit the IPTC afterwards.

Cheers.