Author Topic: ftp transfer has stalled  (Read 6641 times)

Offline kd606

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ftp transfer has stalled
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:12:20 AM »
Hi

I am using Macbook OSX 4 gb Ram Nikon D3 jpg PM ver 4.6. Due to the high volume of mobile users at Uk's Premiership football matches, the vodafone 3G card I am using can struggle with the connection. I keep getting the error message that the FTP transfer has stalled. Fair enough. However PM keeps popping up the message every 15 seconds. Unless the message is Ok'd it stays on the screen. 
The latest version of PM with the little ftp progress box is a superb addition to the software. It's just that this error message negates any benefit derived from this new addition. In the UK we usually encounter connection problems in densely populated areas. Its nothing new.
my question is.......can i turn this error message OFF?

yours hopefully

kieran

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ftp transfer has stalled
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:16:11 AM »
Kieran,

I am using Macbook OSX 4 gb Ram Nikon D3 jpg PM ver 4.6. Due to the high volume of mobile users at Uk's Premiership football matches, the vodafone 3G card I am using can struggle with the connection. I keep getting the error message that the FTP transfer has stalled. Fair enough. However PM keeps popping up the message every 15 seconds. Unless the message is Ok'd it stays on the screen. 
The latest version of PM with the little ftp progress box is a superb addition to the software. It's just that this error message negates any benefit derived from this new addition. In the UK we usually encounter connection problems in densely populated areas. Its nothing new.
my question is.......can i turn this error message OFF?

No, but you should try the 4.6.1 beta version as it has some improvements in this regard, allowing you to resume transfer on stalled items.  You can download the 4.6.1 beta from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline kd606

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:07 AM »
will do Kirk. many thanks for the update.

kieran

Offline kd606

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:57:17 AM »
Kirk

I downloaded the beta but it has made no difference. In fact the error upload message keeps interrupting me as i try to write this thread! Every time i ok the message it drags me away from the net and back into PM. I am not really sure what the warning expects me to do, but dragging me away from editing in pshop or the net every time is incredibly annoying.
Is it possible for me to downgrade to the previous version of PM?

brgds

kieran

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »
I downloaded the beta but it has made no difference. In fact the error upload message keeps interrupting me as i try to write this thread! Every time i ok the message it drags me away from the net and back into PM. I am not really sure what the warning expects me to do, but dragging me away from editing in pshop or the net every time is incredibly annoying.
Is it possible for me to downgrade to the previous version of PM?

Absolutely.  Just install version 4.5.4 instead while we get that problem straightened out.

I take it your internet connection commonly stalls for more than 15 seconds at a time?  Perhaps if we made the elapsed time for stall detection tunable then you could set it higher.  What the warning expects you to do is to correct the problem that is causing the stalls to occur.  But if that's just not possible then stall detection would be more of a hindrance than a help.

-Kirk

Offline kd606

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:55:24 AM »
kirk

exactly. I am using a 3G dongle that is pretty much sealed from a preference point of view. In densely populated areas the signal plummets and more often than not will sort itself out after about 20 mins. During which time the ftp will have picked up again and the files have been sent. If I could alter the error message frequency to just once per file that would be sufficient. Its normally a given at major soccer matches that the signal will struggle, especially at half time when 60,000 fans suddenly start using their phones! I could survive without the error message completely as the excellent ftp progress box now lets me see exactly what is going on behind the main editing screen.
This is probably only going to affect a wire photojournalist like me who is sending loads of files for a deadline in anger on a dodgy line!

thanks for the link to the downgrade.

brgds

kieran

Offline oasselin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
I'm based in Ghana, West Africa, where connection speeds are abysmal, and I would also very much like to have the option to disable this message, or like you suggested, adjust the time out delay.

Thanks again for this fantastic piece of software, I really can't image my workflow without it!!!

Olivier

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »
Olivier,

I'm based in Ghana, West Africa, where connection speeds are abysmal, and I would also very much like to have the option to disable this message, or like you suggested, adjust the time out delay.

Thanks again for this fantastic piece of software, I really can't image my workflow without it!!!

We're working on making it customizable/disablable.

-Kirk