Author Topic: Star rating NEF s not showing in Nikon Capture NX2 NEF only Jpeg  (Read 2855 times)

Offline JungleJim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using Windows XP, 4gb memory, PM4.6, Nikon Capture NX2 v2.1.1

I sort photos in PM4.6 and label both the jpeg and NEF files for star rankings.  When I use Nikon Capture to open the pics, only the jpegs show the star ratings I assigned in PM. So I set my NX2 viewer to show the jpeg and NEF side by side to see the star rankings and then open up the correct NEF file.   :'(  :(

Any way to get star ratings to show up for NEFs in NX2? ???

Thanks for a great product. :)
Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star rating NEF s not showing in Nikon Capture NX2 NEF only Jpeg
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
Jim,

Using Windows XP, 4gb memory, PM4.6, Nikon Capture NX2 v2.1.1

I sort photos in PM4.6 and label both the jpeg and NEF files for star rankings.  When I use Nikon Capture to open the pics, only the jpegs show the star ratings I assigned in PM. So I set my NX2 viewer to show the jpeg and NEF side by side to see the star rankings and then open up the correct NEF file.   :'(  :(

Any way to get star ratings to show up for NEFs in NX2? ???

Yes.  You need to tell PM to embed IPTC4XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files.  You do this in the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.  Don't bother using XMP sidecar files with NX2, it ignores them.
You also need to tell PM to 'Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:' "For all photos".  You do this on the Files tab of the Preferences dialog.
You also need to tell PM to "Synchronize Color Class with IPTC/XMP Urgency field".  You do this on the General tab of the Preferences dialog.

Also, you should be using the 4.6.1 beta version which you can read more about in the Announcements section of the forums.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JungleJim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Star rating NEF s not showing in Nikon Capture NX2 NEF only Jpeg
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:32:11 PM »
I'll give that a try with the Nikon D300 RAW files. Probably just newbie lack of knowledge.