Author Topic: Star Ratings and Tags Not Sticking with JPG Files  (Read 6080 times)

Offline afengler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star Ratings and Tags Not Sticking with JPG Files
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
Windows Vista 64-bit SP1 Quad CPU 2.66GHz 4GB RAM Tried PM 4.5.4, 4.6, 4.6.1

I used to be able to rate my JPG files in PM - do not recall the exact version since I just started using PM for initial image selection and rating again.
After scanning the related topics I think I have the correct setup in Preferences - IPTC/XMP:

reading: Read embedded XMP before IPTC
writing: Add both ITPC and IPTC4XMP

Preferences - Files:
Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP: Always for all photos
(I tried to enter screen shots but did not succeed)

I can change ratings and tags in PM but after closing the contact sheet and reopening it again or closing/opening PM itself, the changed ratings and tags have disappeared.
Using BreezeBrowserPro I see that the modified ratings and tags do not show up in the HTML tokens of the IPTC/XMP data of the selected image, so it seems they exist only in memory while running PM and are not written to the image data.

I can rate images using IMatch V3.6 and the ratings then appear in PM, but of course I want to go the other way and utilize the great display speed of PM for the rating and selection part of my workflow.

Help!

Alf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star Ratings and Tags Not Sticking with JPG Files
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
Alf,

Windows Vista 64-bit SP1 Quad CPU 2.66GHz 4GB RAM Tried PM 4.5.4, 4.6, 4.6.1

I used to be able to rate my JPG files in PM - do not recall the exact version since I just started using PM for initial image selection and rating again.
After scanning the related topics I think I have the correct setup in Preferences - IPTC/XMP:

reading: Read embedded XMP before IPTC
writing: Add both ITPC and IPTC4XMP

Preferences - Files:
Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP: Always for all photos
(I tried to enter screen shots but did not succeed)

I can change ratings and tags in PM but after closing the contact sheet and reopening it again or closing/opening PM itself, the changed ratings and tags have disappeared.
Using BreezeBrowserPro I see that the modified ratings and tags do not show up in the HTML tokens of the IPTC/XMP data of the selected image, so it seems they exist only in memory while running PM and are not written to the image data.

I can rate images using IMatch V3.6 and the ratings then appear in PM, but of course I want to go the other way and utilize the great display speed of PM for the rating and selection part of my workflow.

It looks like your settings are fine.  Do you have write permission on the files?  Can you add IPTC captions to the files, and if so, do they stick?

-Kirk

Offline afengler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
Kirk,
Thanks for the quick response - you hit the nail on the head: the folder is read-only, PM shows the error

despite the fact that I run PM as Administrator. Will change the properties of my Photos folder and report back.

Alf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
Alf,

Thanks for the quick response - you hit the nail on the head: the folder is read-only, PM shows the error

despite the fact that I run PM as Administrator. Will change the properties of my Photos folder and report back.

Administrator privileges don't mean that you can write to folders that you've set to not be writable. I'm certain that if you remove the Read-only attribute then the problem will be solved.

-Kirk

Offline afengler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:45:25 PM »
Kirk,
After unsetting all read-only attributes, I still am not able to write ITPC data to the image and therefore also no modified ratings or tags. Looks like a typical Vista problem to me. I always had UAC turned off and log in with an Administrators account. Will have to dig into that ...

Alf