Author Topic: Applying user/client variables  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Terence Dodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Applying user/client variables
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »
Greetings

Kindly point me to step by step example of using user/client variable how to apply it to the "selected" or preferred IPTC field ( unless that is part of my not understanding it right there ), I have a user/client variable saved but applying it and then viewing it is not grasped, and if this is answered just point me at the post.

Thank you
Terence Dodge

OS is 10.5.6, PM is 4.5.4, 4gig ram

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Applying user/client variables
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »
Terence,

Kindly point me to step by step example of using user/client variable how to apply it to the "selected" or preferred IPTC field ( unless that is part of my not understanding it right there ), I have a user/client variable saved but applying it and then viewing it is not grasped, and if this is answered just point me at the post.

Which User/Client field in particular are you wanting to use?  Give me an example and I'll show you how.

-Kirk

Offline Terence Dodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

Which User/Client field in particular are you wanting to use?  Give me an example and I'll show you how.

-Kirk

Thank you Kirk

So I want to put into "Special Instructions" the client name from the saved "user/client" variable which got saved I know not where nor how to recall it for editing/using.

So I open the variables sidetable/bar, select "urco" in curly braces and "tab" from the field  ( "special instructions" ) or close "info" and reopen and it is updated with the name from that field, from the save variable/set, and if I have more than one saved user/client ( we all live in hope I suppose ), how is the 2nd, 3rd ETC. accessed to put in those curly braces and editing that saved info...

Terence
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:24:46 PM by Terence Dodge »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
Terence,

-Kirk

Thank you Kirk

So I want to put into "Special Instructions" the client name from the saved "user/client" variable which got saved I know not where nor how to recall it for editing/using.

So I open the variables sidetable/bar, select "urco" in curly braces and "tab" from the field  ( "special instructions" ) or close "info" and reopen and it is updated with the name from that field, from the save variable/set, and if I have more than one saved user/client ( we all live in hope I suppose ), how is the 2nd, 3rd ETC. accessed to put in those curly braces and editing that saved info...

You can indeed have as many instances of the User/Client variables as you want, but there is only one available at a time.  In the User/Client dialog, there is a small button in the lower left corner of each group with a lightning bolt on it.  That is the 'Snapshot' button.  If you click on it you can save the settings with a name, or you can load from it by clicking on a name in the popup menu.  So when you want to switch clients, just use the Snapshot button to load it and then close the dialog.  Then when you use one of the client variables, it will lookup the values for the current client.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Terence Dodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
Thank You Kirk

Is the intension of the upper part of the variables list window, meant to assemble a string or paragraph ( non programmer here, nomenclature, language ) of variables, and then cut/copy paste into the targeted IPTC FIELD? Some what puzzeled.

TERENCE

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Terence,

Thank You Kirk

Is the intension of the upper part of the variables list window, meant to assemble a string or paragraph ( non programmer here, nomenclature, language ) of variables, and then cut/copy paste into the targeted IPTC FIELD? Some what puzzeled.

No, you don't need to copy or paste the descriptive text.  It just explains what each variable does.  All you need to do is double-click a variable and it will be entered for you into the last text field you were working with.

HTH,

-Kirk