Author Topic: Tags in XMP file?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Tags in XMP file?
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:44 AM »
When an image is tagged, is it coded as such in the .XMP file?  I've tested this but can't find it.

I use iMatch and would like to somehow code the tagged images as such, maybe with an iMatch category.  I can do the translation if it's coded somewhere in the .XMP file.  I know I could work around this, maybe by adding a keyword to all tagged images, but it adds an unnecessary step in the workflow, and hey, I'll forget to do it sometimes  >:(

TIA,
Neil

Offline afengler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Tags in XMP file?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
When an image is tagged, is it coded as such in the .XMP file?  I've tested this but can't find it.

I use iMatch and would like to somehow code the tagged images as such, maybe with an iMatch category.  I can do the translation if it's coded somewhere in the .XMP file.  I know I could work around this, maybe by adding a keyword to all tagged images, but it adds an unnecessary step in the workflow, and hey, I'll forget to do it sometimes  >:(

I have the same setup and just tested tagging an image in PM and then looking with the XMP editor of IMatch at the modified XMP record of the image(I am using JPG files with embedded XMP).
Here is the result:
Note the photomechanic:xxx entries, they did not exist before the tagging action.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:06:02 PM by afengler »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »

I have the same setup and just tested tagging an image in PM and then looking with the XMP editor of IMatch at the modified XMP record of the image(I am using JPG files with embedded XMP).
Here is the result:
Note the photomechanic:xxx entries, they did not exist before the tagging action.

The items are in the following order:

tag:color class index:rating:inferred frame number

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:27:12 AM »
Thanks for the explanations, especially Kirk's elaboration of that sequence.  I had independently come to more or less the same conclusion with the flags but had difficulties verifying it when I tested it.  After an email and call to support, it turns out that even if you have your preferences set to read XMP files before the raw image, at least tags are always read from the image first (ignores the preference setting).  If you test this by flipping the tag in the XMP file, PM will not change it's indicated tag status.  If you then turn off all updates to the Raw files, updating only XMP, the behavior is the same because there is no way to totally turn off updates to the raw.  But that is an old issue, I believe and I'll leave it at that  ;D