Author Topic: PM crop lost after NX2 edit  (Read 13216 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM crop lost after NX2 edit
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
Mick,

Frankly, I want the XMP embedded in the NEF. I don't want a bunch of  sidecar files that surely will end up getting detached from the RAW file.

That's why it should be optional for those who want XMP sidecar files for better cross-application compatibility with Adobe's products.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
I ran the batch job so the files were saved over the originals.  Here's my IPTC/XMP settings:

Can we see your Files tab as well?

Thanks,

-Kirk

I finally remembered that you asked to see my Files tab as well.  Here is the screenshot:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
I ran the batch job so the files were saved over the originals.  Here's my IPTC/XMP settings:

Can we see your Files tab as well?

I finally remembered that you asked to see my Files tab as well.  Here is the screenshot:

It looks fine.  I'd have to have a sample file and see if the crop isn't being preserved in the metadata.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 04:29:36 AM »
By sample file, I assume you mean from the following flow:
  • Soft crop image with PM
  • Edit and save with NX2
  • Verify that soft crop appears lost in PM

Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »
Danny,

By sample file, I assume you mean from the following flow:
  • Soft crop image with PM
  • Edit and save with NX2
  • Verify that soft crop appears lost in PM

Is that what you are looking for?

Yes, exactly.  I'll want two images, one from step one, and another after step two.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
I just tried to recreate this problem and could not.  I picked a NEF file and did a soft crop with PM.  I saved a copy of the file for the "before image" and then edited and saved the original a couple times with NX2.  The soft crop is still there.  I tried changing the star and color rating with NX2, making a change in the develop section, adding an edit step and loading presets.  The soft crop was still present in the updated image file.  I even tried doing a crop in NX2, and the PM soft crop was still there.  The NX2 crop did not change the aspect ratio, so the soft crop was still the same size relative to the entire frame.

I know it has happened to me in the past because I was quite disappointed when I lost the crops.   I simply can not recreate it any more.  I'm pretty sure I've had at least a couple updates for PM and possibly an NX2 update since I remember experiencing this problem in the past.  Maybe something in the updates fixed this problem.

Danny