Author Topic: IPTC Object Names, Categories, Keywords missing when I upgraded to PM 4.6  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Jeff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I'm using Windows XP SP3 and just upgraded from PM 4.5.4 to PM 4.6 and some of the information I had in the IPTC window made the switch but the majority of information such as Categories, Object Names (extensive), and keywords did not switch over from the older version of PM to the newest.  How can I transfer this data without manually typing it in?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I'm using Windows XP SP3 and just upgraded from PM 4.5.4 to PM 4.6 and some of the information I had in the IPTC window made the switch but the majority of information such as Categories, Object Names (extensive), and keywords did not switch over from the older version of PM to the newest.  How can I transfer this data without manually typing it in?

Get the 4.6.1 beta from the Announcements section of the forums.  It will pick up the data from the older version.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I installed PM 4.6.1 Beta and this did not remedy the issue of my keywords, object names, and categories not making the transition from PM 4.5.4 to PM 4.6.1.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated as my lists are extensive.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Jeff,

I installed PM 4.6.1 Beta and this did not remedy the issue of my keywords, object names, and categories not making the transition from PM 4.5.4 to PM 4.6.1.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated as my lists are extensive.  Thanks.

Are your lists empty in 4.6.1, or do they have some words in them?  If they have some words in them (you entered at least one while in PM 4.6) then PM 4.6.1 isn't going to try and import the old ones.

Here's what you can do.  Delete the preferences file that Photo Mechanic 4.6.x uses (it's different from what older versions used.)  You can find it in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Application Data\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

First quit PM 4.6.1 if it is open.  Then delete that file and start PM 4.6.1 up again.  It should now list all of your previous settings.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Following the string you typed:
Documents and Settings / MY name / Application Data / Camera Bits, Inc / Photo Mechanic /

leads me to the following choices:

PreferencesGeneralSettings
PreferencesIPTCSMPSettings
IPTCCurrentKeywordsSettings
IPTCDialogSettings
IPTCKeywordsSettings

Which of these (there are many others) would do the job?
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Jeff,

Following the string you typed:
Documents and Settings / MY name / Application Data / Camera Bits, Inc / Photo Mechanic /

leads me to the following choices:

PreferencesGeneralSettings
PreferencesIPTCSMPSettings
IPTCCurrentKeywordsSettings
IPTCDialogSettings
IPTCKeywordsSettings

Which of these (there are many others) would do the job?

You don't need to touch those.  Just delete the file named "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs"

-Kirk

Offline Jeff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

Sorry, that was hidden from my viewing options but I found it, deleted it, and restarted PM 4.6.1 and everything I needed is now there.  You are nothing short of a genius to have mastered all the intricacies of PM.  THANK YOU for the quick solution and I hope you remember what sunshine is and that you can get out in it from time to time.  It's Saturday morning and your saving all of our as...sets.  Bless you!!!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Jeff,

Sorry, that was hidden from my viewing options but I found it, deleted it, and restarted PM 4.6.1 and everything I needed is now there.  You are nothing short of a genius to have mastered all the intricacies of PM.  THANK YOU for the quick solution and I hope you remember what sunshine is and that you can get out in it from time to time.  It's Saturday morning and your saving all of our as...sets.  Bless you!!!!

Well, I am the lead engineer for Photo Mechanic after all... ;)

Thanks for confirming that the problem is fixed.

-Kirk