Author Topic: Migrate PM to a different laptop  (Read 3333 times)

Offline scenesfromthepast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Migrate PM to a different laptop
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »
I need to migrate PM to a new laptop.  I currently have 4.6 installed on my work laptop, but am leaving my job for a new one and need to preserve all of my settings including IPTC stationary pad and my modified Controlled Vocabulary so I can load it onto a different laptop.

The current (work) laptop has Windows XP on it and I want to preserve all of my settings, etc. as mentioned above to import onto a  laptop also running Windows XP.

Please help.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Migrate PM to a different laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Scott,

I need to migrate PM to a new laptop.  I currently have 4.6 installed on my work laptop, but am leaving my job for a new one and need to preserve all of my settings including IPTC stationary pad and my modified Controlled Vocabulary so I can load it onto a different laptop.

The current (work) laptop has Windows XP on it and I want to preserve all of my settings, etc. as mentioned above to import onto a  laptop also running Windows XP.

First get the 4.6.1 beta from the Announcements section of the forums.

Use the Export button in the Preferences dialog and choose all of the various settings you wish to save.  Then transfer the exported file to the new computer.  Then use the Import button in the Preferences dialog and load that file.

The Structured Keywords can just be saved to a file from within the Structured Keywords dialogs and loaded on the new system.

That should do it.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:16:13 AM »
Ok, I've downloaded and installed the 4.6.1 Beta, which expires in several days. 

I've found the Export button via Edit>Preferences.  Question:  Do I have to hit Export for each of the tabs (General, Contact Sheets, Files, etc.) or will hitting Export on any one of the tabs preserve the information from all ten tabs?  (Sorry if this is a stupid question).

I've found the Notepad "Save" function via Image>IPTC Stationary Pad and have saved an XMP file to import once I have 4.6.1 installed on my new laptop.

Question:  To preserve the Controlled Vocabulary (with all of my modifications), do I need to save the .TXT file via Image>IPTC Stationary Pad>Keywords>Structured Keywords>Save ?

Is that what you meant?

Thanks for the patience and your help.

Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:12:32 AM »
Scott,

Ok, I've downloaded and installed the 4.6.1 Beta, which expires in several days. 

I've found the Export button via Edit>Preferences.  Question:  Do I have to hit Export for each of the tabs (General, Contact Sheets, Files, etc.) or will hitting Export on any one of the tabs preserve the information from all ten tabs?  (Sorry if this is a stupid question).

You only need to do it once.  Everything listed as available to export does not change depending on what tab you're on at the time you click the Export button.  Just make sure everything is selected in the list.

Quote from: scenesfromthepast
I've found the Notepad "Save" function via Image>IPTC Stationary Pad and have saved an XMP file to import once I have 4.6.1 installed on my new laptop.

You can definitely do this, but if you've selected the IPTC Stationery Pad in the Export dialog, this step should be unnecessary.

Quote from: scenesfromthepast
Question:  To preserve the Controlled Vocabulary (with all of my modifications), do I need to save the .TXT file via Image>IPTC Stationary Pad>Keywords>Structured Keywords>Save ?

Is that what you meant?

Yes, exactly.  And then you'll load that file on your other computer.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:15:59 AM »
Thanks for all of your help, Kirk!   :)

Scott