Author Topic: IPTC and XMP Date/Time Created  (Read 11525 times)

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC and XMP Date/Time Created
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
I am using Windows XP SP3 with 2GB memory and Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 Beta 0321

I have a problem with IPTC and XMP Date/Time Created.

My photos have been geocoded with the correct Date, Time and Timezone of when and where the photo was taken.

If I then update the photo's Caption with Photo Mechanic using the IPTC Info Form:
a) the IPTC Time Created Timezone changes to the computer's current timezone.
b) the XMP-Photomech Time Created Timezone is created with the computer's current timezone.
c) all other XMP timezones are correct.
---- IPTC ----                    Before Photo Mechanic                           After Photo Mechanic
Date Created                         : 2009:01:05            : 2009:01:05
Time Created                         : 16:29:18+07:00         : 16:29:18+10:00
---- XMP-photoshop ----
Date Created                         : 2009:01:05 16:29:18+07:00                : 2009:01:05
---- XMP-photomech ----
Time Created                                      : 16:29:18+10:00

If I update the photo's Caption with Photo Mechanic using the IPTC Stationery Pad:
a) the IPTC Time Created is DELETED.
b) the XMP-Photoshop Date Created changes to TODAY.
c) the XMP-Photomech Time Created is created with the computer's current time and timezone.
---- IPTC ----           Before Photo Mechanic          After Photo Mechanic
Date Created                         : 2009:01:08             : 2009:01:08
Time Created                         : 10:48:55+07:0                                       :            (DELETED)
---- XMP-photoshop ----
Date Created                         : 2009:01:08 10:48:55+07:00                 : 2009:03:28 (current date)
---- XMP-photomech ----
Time Created                                                                              : 15:32:07+10:00 (current time)

If I then update this photo again using the IPTC Stationery Pad:
a) the IPTC Date Created is updated with the invalid XMP-Photoshop Date Created
b) the IPTC Time Created is updated with the invalid XMP-Photomech Time Created
---- IPTC ----                        Before first Photo Mechanic        After second Photo Mechanic
Date Created                         : 2009:01:08             : 2009:03:28 (current date)
Time Created                         : 10:48:55+07                                          : 15:32:07+10:00 (current time)
---- XMP-photoshop ----
Date Created                         : 2009:01:08 10:48:55+07:00                 : 2009:03:28 (current date)
---- XMP-photomech ----
Time Created                                                           : 15:32:07+10:00 (current time)

Kirk,

We have previously (4th July 2008) discussed on the Forum the XMP-photoshop Date/Time format.  You said that it may be changed for version 4.6 to match the www.iptc.org XMP standard for XMP Dates.  I will keep hoping for a future release.

Do you think that my current Date/Time problems may be corrected for the final 4.6.1 release?

Thanks,
Warren

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: IPTC and XMP Date/Time Created
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »
Kirk,

I waited until this problem fell off the second screen of support problems without a response (9 days), before prompting you again. 

Can you give me an indication of when you think that I may expect a response and your suggested solution to this timezone problem?

Warren

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:32:50 AM »
Kirk,

In the latest Beta release (0403) you ask, "If your issue has not been fixed, please post on your thread that the issue still hasn't been solved."

My problem has not been solved and I have had no information from you to say if you consider it to be a problem.

I would have expected a bit more of a response from Camera Bits.  I reported this error 11 days ago, as yet I have had no response from.   Do you understand the problem?

After 11 days I still don't know if you consider this to be an ERROR, or a FEATURE.  Please let me know what you consider it to be.

Warren

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:07:45 AM »
Warren,

There are a few different issues you have mentioned and we are testing various scenarios since we don't know what your preferences are (e.g. do you have the preference set to always put today's date in the IPTC Stationery Pad?).  PM shouldn't be deleting the time but I suspect this is only in the XMP section, not the IIM IPTC record.  And I will look into formatting the XMP date/time string.

I apologize for the delay in responding to this issue.

--dennis

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
Dennis,

I do NOT have the preference set to always put today's date in the IPTC Stationery Pad, and yes it is only the XMP section.
I have sent the required info to Kirk.

Thanks,
Warren

Offline JonathonW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:17:53 AM »
I do NOT have the preference set to always put today's date in the IPTC Stationery Pad, and yes it is only the XMP section.

I'm seeing the same issue. When I update the RAW files from the jpg XMP data, the 'created' date always is set to the current time date. I usually rank photos by the 'created' time, as I shoot with 2 cameras and this set them in the right order. This bug means I can't do that, as every photo I synchronise gets it's date/time messes up.

I want to synchronise the files as I use the jpgs to rate & tag in Lightroom and then I synch with the RAW files afterwards.