Author Topic: Color space trouble  (Read 7822 times)

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
Color space trouble
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »
I am running a mac book pro. I have recently changed my system settings for my color space to adobe rgb. It was set incorrectly before.

For some reason I am not seeing the built in jpeg previews for my raw files. Images look great on my camera, but in PM they have zero saturation, white balance is cold, etc.. It seems to be reading the unprocessed raw file.

Curious what is not working properly and how to fix it. There is no change in the contact sheets color when I click on or off the color profiler.

thanks.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color space trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:43 PM »
I am running a mac book pro. I have recently changed my system settings for my color space to adobe rgb. It was set incorrectly before.

For some reason I am not seeing the built in jpeg previews for my raw files. Images look great on my camera, but in PM they have zero saturation, white balance is cold, etc.. It seems to be reading the unprocessed raw file.

Curious what is not working properly and how to fix it. There is no change in the contact sheets color when I click on or off the color profiler.

Did you set Photo Mechanic to always render your RAW files instead of using the JPEG previews for speed?  Check the RAW tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
I have set PM to render raw files instead of jpegs and vice versa. Restarting PM, restarting the computer all to no avail. My monitor is calibrated adobe rgb. When i hit the color profile button in PM there isn't any change, even after a number of combintations of rendering and different color space selections. My main system preferences are set to adobe RGB.

I'm shooting Nikon Nef's and convert to DNG in light room. It doesn't matter right now what files I look at, a brand new nef file or a file from last year. The images are completely flat. I'm stumped.  Not sure what has caused such a change. Any input?

thanks.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
I have set PM to render raw files instead of jpegs and vice versa. Restarting PM, restarting the computer all to no avail. My monitor is calibrated adobe rgb. When i hit the color profile button in PM there isn't any change, even after a number of combintations of rendering and different color space selections. My main system preferences are set to adobe RGB.

I'm shooting Nikon Nef's and convert to DNG in light room. It doesn't matter right now what files I look at, a brand new nef file or a file from last year. The images are completely flat. I'm stumped.  Not sure what has caused such a change. Any input?

What color profile have you assigned to your monitor?

-Kirk

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
My monitor is set to Adobe RGB, as is photoshop, as is Photo Mechanic.... Again, no matter what is selected in PM my colors are completely muted. Again, I'm seeing this with my NEF files, etc..

thanks for the help...

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »
My monitor is set to Adobe RGB, as is photoshop, as is Photo Mechanic.... Again, no matter what is selected in PM my colors are completely muted. Again, I'm seeing this with my NEF files, etc..

thanks for the help...

Usually Adobe RGB is not a suitable monitor profile.  Do you have a colorimeter?  I would start by profiling your monitor.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »
To add to Kirk's advise:

Every device has it's own (specific) profile. Your camera has one, your monitor has one, your printer has one, and finally your file has one too. They are all different. To be able to get consistent results you will really need to calibrate at least your monitor.

Anyway, you said you changed the colour profile to aRGB. My guess is that you (also) changed the profile of your monitor with that. This is likely the cause of the muddy colours. Either calibrate your monitor as advised, or change it back to what it was set to before you made the change (at least this default profile will give you better results than aRGB).

Side note: the choice of profile for your files aRGB in your case is a good one as this has a fairly large gamut. However if you ever publish files on the web, best you convert them to sRGB AND embed the ICC profile so that everyone will get the same colours (Windows or Mac).

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl