Author Topic: Keyword, Stars and Ratings problems with latest 4.6.1b0328 beta  (Read 4959 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
I just downloaded the latest 4.6.1b0328 beta and I'm having a lot of problems with Keywords, Stars and Ratings all of a sudden.

NX2 sometimes sees the Stars and Ratings and sometimes it doesn't, same with keywords.  I applied the stationary pad to some selected D300 Nef files and NX2 didn't see the keywords after adding Stars and Ratings in PM

Also Smugmug is not seeing the Keywords anymore on uploads from PM.

I don't remember seeing this in previous betas of 4.6.1.  When I went to check my preference settings I noticed the I IPTC/XMP panel now has a new look but my settings were correct.

I tried going back to a previous beta but I noticed it kept the new IPTC/XMP box and I was still having the same issues.

I just tried a NEF file that I had added keywords to with an earlier version of the 4.6.1 beta, I then edited it in NX2 and saved it as a jpg and uploaded it with PM uploader to Smugmug and it saw the keywords.

If I use the latest beta and do the same thing, Smugmug does not see the keywords.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:00:34 AM by RonD200 »
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyword, Stars and Ratings problems with latest 4.6.1b0328 beta
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:16 AM »
Ron,

I just downloaded the latest 4.6.1b0328 beta and I'm having a lot of problems with Keywords, Stars and Ratings all of a sudden.

NX2 sometimes sees the Stars and Ratings and sometimes it doesn't, same with keywords.  I applied the stationary pad to some selected D300 Nef files and NX2 didn't see the keywords after adding Stars and Ratings in PM

Also Smugmug is not seeing the Keywords anymore on uploads from PM.

I don't remember seeing this in previous betas of 4.6.1.  When I went to check my preference settings I noticed the I IPTC/XMP panel now has a new look but my settings were correct.

I tried going back to a previous beta but I noticed it kept the new IPTC/XMP box and I was still having the same issues.

I just tried a NEF file that I had added keywords to with an earlier version of the 4.6.1 beta, I then edited it in NX2 and saved it as a jpg and uploaded it with PM uploader to Smugmug and it saw the keywords.

If I use the latest beta and do the same thing, Smugmug does not see the keywords.

Please post a screenshot of the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »
Ok Kirk, here it is

My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »
Ron,

Ok Kirk, here it is

OK, looks good.  And on the General tab, do you have color class synchronized with the IPTC Urgency field?

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »
Hi Kirk, yes the urgency field is synced.

I've been experimenting and trying different things

1.  Took a new NEF file that hadn't been touched by an earlier version of 4.6.1 and using the stationary pad added a Caption and structured keywords, then edited in NX2, then saved as a JPG, then uploaded to Smugmug with the PM uploader - no keywords showed up in Smugmug but the Caption did show up in Smugmug

2. Took another new Nef from the same directory that hadn't been touched by an earlier version of 4.6.1 and this time I used the IPTC Info panel to  add a Caption and structured keywords, then edited in NX2, then saved as a JPG, then uploaded to Smugmug with the PM uploader - no keywords showed up in Smugmug  and no caption showed up

So it seems like something different is going on if I use the Stationary pad to tag vs. the IPTC Info panel, in both cases Smugmug didn't see the keywords, but if the Stationary pad was used it saw the Caption, while when the IPTC Info panel was used  neither the Caption or keywords showed up in Smugmug.

3. For my next test, I took a NEF file that had the Captions and Keywords added with an earlier version of PM, edited in NX2, saved as a JPG and then uploaded to Smugmug with the PM uploader and the Caption and Keywords were both seen by Smugmug.
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
Tried one more thing,

Using the previous version of PM 4.5.4 I did the following.

1. Selected a Nef file and tagged it with a caption and keywords in PM 4.5.4
2. Closed PM4.5.4 and opened that Nef file in PM 4.6.1 b0328  viewed all the IPTC data
3. Edited the file in NX2 and saved as a jpg
4. Used the Smugmug uploader in PM 4.6.1 to upload to Smugmug
5. The Keywords and captions were there!

So if I use PM4.5.4 to apply keywords and captions, Smugmug "sees" them.

If I use the latest version of PM 4.6.1 b0328 to apply keywords and captions Smugmug does not "see" them.

My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:04:40 PM »
Ron,

Tried one more thing,

2. Closed PM4.5.4 and opened that Nef file in PM 4.6.1 b0328  viewed all the IPTC data

If I use the latest version of PM 4.6.1 b0328 to apply keywords and captions Smugmug does not "see" them.

I'd like to see two example files from you, one that is from 4.5.4 and one that is from the 03/28/09 4.6.1 beta.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
Ron,

Tried one more thing,

Thanks for the samples.  One of the NEF files (HudsonHolidayLights025.NEF) does not have IPTC data in it.  The other NEF file (HudsonHolidayLights026.NEF) does have IPTC data.  I saw in your screenshot of your settings that you're not embedding IPTC data into your NEF files and that is likely why Capture NX2 isn't producing IPTC data in the JPEG files it produces.  The resulting JPEGs do have XMP in them, but SmugMug likely doesn't understand XMP.

There would be two ways to solve this issue:

1) Instruct PM to embed IPTC into your TIFF-based RAW files as well as IPTC4XMP
or
2) When uploading to SmugMug, send as JPEG and apply an IPTC Stationery Pad to the photos during the upload which should add the IPTC data (according to your posted settings it will.)

Either method would cause IPTC data to be present in your JPEG files when uploaded to SmugMug and then SmugMug should find the keywords.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »
Ron,

Tried one more thing,

Thanks for the samples.  One of the NEF files (HudsonHolidayLights025.NEF) does not have IPTC data in it.  The other NEF file (HudsonHolidayLights026.NEF) does have IPTC data.  I saw in your screenshot of your settings that you're not embedding IPTC data into your NEF files and that is likely why Capture NX2 isn't producing IPTC data in the JPEG files it produces.  The resulting JPEGs do have XMP in them, but SmugMug likely doesn't understand XMP.

There would be two ways to solve this issue:

1) Instruct PM to embed IPTC into your TIFF-based RAW files as well as IPTC4XMP
or
2) When uploading to SmugMug, send as JPEG and apply an IPTC Stationery Pad to the photos during the upload which should add the IPTC data (according to your posted settings it will.)

Either method would cause IPTC data to be present in your JPEG files when uploaded to SmugMug and then SmugMug should find the keywords.

HTH,

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, telling PM to embed IPTC into the Raw file did the trick and Smugmug now sees the keywords!!! 

You know until a couple of weeks ago I had both IPTC and IPTC4XMP checked in the Preferences but then I was reading the PM online help and for some reason the recommended settings for CaptureNX2 only had the IPTC4xmp checked and IPTC unchecked.  Maybe the PM help file should recommend both be checked.

Thanks for all your help.

Ron
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:12:38 PM by RonD200 »
My Blog - Ron's Blog