Author Topic: why switch to photo mechanic?  (Read 7185 times)

Offline professor pledger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
why switch to photo mechanic?
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:50:17 AM »
i use photoshop and canon digital photo professional...between the two i thought i had my bases covered...but since looking at your software, i am wondering what is so different from dpp? i am always looking for the best software and like most people want the least amount of programmes running to get the best from my photos...to all, feel free to sell this programme to me

Offline dandill

• View Profile
Re: why switch to photo mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
I am a heavy user of Lightroom/Bridge/Photoshop. For my work, where PM shines is handling metadata. It is a great compliment to these other tools.

Dan Dill

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Hi,

it'S the quickest way to get pictures on the mac, into a certain directory, rename it as I need it, sort out the garbage, fill it with metadata, fill in the gps-data, get the cropping done, save it as jpeg or tiff. Only in some special cases I need Bibble or DPP, or the dinosaurus photoshop ... :)
When I search a file, I open photomechanic ... until the final of atomicview is out :)
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline professor pledger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:31:10 AM »
thank you for your thoughts on photo mechanic...in the past i used acdsee but switched to a mac a couple years ago...thought i would never do that!!!, but for what i do, the new mac's are far better than a pc...but acdsee does not have the pro version for mac and that is why i was looking at photo mechanic...dpp is good but has its limitations...it sounds like pm is equivalent to acdsee pro for the mac...does this sum it up? i dont think i will ever move away from ps but a really good all in one photo manager/editor would be great...dont hold back, please post any negative or quirky little things about pm you dont like or would like changed, like with dpp you cant export to ps as a jpeg...so before i dump and recalibrate i would llike to know from the people who use it if the change was worth the learning curve 8)

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 05:02:21 AM »
I meant to mention earlier, the following is what tipped me over to Photo Mechanic, as I work mostly in Lightroom.

Why Photo Mechanic > Lightroom…
http://blog.tylerginter.com/?p=248

Dan Dill

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »
I've used PM for about 4 to 5 years I think and like said before its the quickest way to get photos on the Mac and do an edit... With or without metadata. I make a quick edit in PM and then transfer to Adobe's Camera Raw for the main mix, thanks to WOW's great free plugins, I would pay for them they are that great... Then save as an Adobe psd and back into PM for the web convert, amazingly fast now in the latest version of 4.6. As far as archiving, I'm still undecided... I keep the psd and a jpg, 12 compression version... But I should probably be keeping a tiff version as well to edit... Actually I have never tried the crop feature or edit in PM... Maybe I need to... PM is a truly great app with the best support around...